Cayton Children's Museum
Santa Monica, CA
Camp Cayton offers a unique experience for campers to build, create, and explore. Experienced educators lead an imaginative curriculum complete with art immersion and museum play. Camp Cayton encourages campers to take risks, express themselves creatively, engage with their community, and play their way to a better world.
Position: Junior Counselor
Classification: Seasonal, hourly
Location: Cayton Children’s Museum, 395 Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, CA 90401
Supervisor: Education Program Manager
- Create a welcoming, energetic, and collaborative camp experience with the safety, health, well-being and happiness of each camper in mind.
- Under direction of Head Counselor, guide campers through a daily schedule which includes activities, restroom breaks, snack time and lunch time.
- Gather and prepare materials, and facilitate and adjust daily activities as necessary to engage participants of varying skill levels in a one-on-one, small or large group setting.
- Recognize and encourage opportunities for individual and group problem solving and creative expression.
- Observe, anticipate, and guide behavior in alignment with Camp Cayton philosophies, alerting Head Counselor to more serious needs for behavior management.
- Set-up, clean-up and keep up with maintenance of classroom and materials each day.
- Support interns, volunteers, Counselors-in-Training providing instructions for daily activities.
- Communicate regularly with other Camp Counselors, Head Counselors, Camp Cayton Supervisor, and Education Program Director regarding concerns, updates, challenges, suggestions for optimal camp experience.
- Conduct other duties as assigned as it relates to Camp Cayton program goals and objectives.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Experience working with children ages 3 – 10 in an educational/art field preferred.
- Experience working with children with special needs is preferred.
- Must be punctual and dependable.
- Able work in a fast-paced, cooperative, team-oriented atmosphere.
- Maintain current First Aid and Adult/Child CPR/AED certification (can be provided).
- Must be available to attend Winter Camp Training (Tuesday December 17 – Friday December 20)
- Must be available to work at least 2 full weeks throughout the duration of the camp program:
- Hours: Mondays through Fridays, 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Week 1 (Winter at the Beach): Dec 23 – 27, no camp Dec 25
- Week 2 (NYE Jubilee): Dec 30 – Jan 3, no camp Jan 1
- Week 3 (World Wonders): Jan 6 – 10
- Must pass background check.
- Additional requirements needed to perform the duties of this job include the ability to walk, stand, kneel, balance, crouch, crawl, sit, run, talk and hear, and ability to lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs.
Cayton Children’s Museum by ShareWell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Please submit resume & cover letter with subject line “Junior Counselor Position” via email to Marissa Ring, Education Program Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org