Los Angeles, CA
Olympic Athletes of Color: Past, Present and Future – Mural Arts Project
A project of LA Commons, Expo Center, USC “Good Neighbors”
LA Commons seeks lead artists for Winter 2017. LA Commons develops artistic and cultural projects that reveal the unique stories of L.A.’s Neighborhoods and engage visitors through cultural tours. LA Commons is partnering with Expo Center and the USC Office of Governmental Relations to host “Olympic Athletes of Color: Past, Present and Future” a mural project in which professional artist leads team of youth (age 15-25 years old) to collect stories from the community, and work to design and create temporary public art that will share the stories. Design and creation of mural arts installation will honor great athletes of color and their legacy, while inspiring and affirming the next generation of athletes and artists.
The Role the Artist/Designers in this project will be:
- To participate in story/image gathering process with the community arts team.
- To mentor the Core Youth Arts Team to further youth in the development of skills in image making and design.
- To create final artworks based on youth designs and community images gathered
- To collaborate with team and Community Arts Director to support the creation of cohesive visual messaging for the Building Healthy Communities South LA project.
- To attend the Opening Celebration
Late January 2017 – June 2017
- Experience in visual and public arts.
- Experience working with youth and community.
- Familiarity with Expo Center and South LA neighborhoods.
- Interest and experience in collaborative process.
$2,200 stipend for Lead Artist (Payable in thirds: beginning, middle and conclusion of the project)
*This fee includes conducting weekly workshops with a team of youth, story gathering, and completion of design review and final artwork.
Please submit these materials via email to Beth Peterson [email protected] by January 19, 2017.
- Current resume and contact information
- 7-10 Work Samples via email or web links
- Artist statement of why you are interested in this project: connection to South LA, Sports, and/or Interest in Olympics.