Los Angeles, CA
Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation
Internship Opportunity Announcement
TITLE: Levitt Foundation Spring Communications Intern
LOCATION: Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA
TIME COMMITMENT: Part-Time (16-24 hours/week for 10 weeks)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 15, 2020
INTERNSHIP DATES: 10 consecutive weeks (beginning late March/early April)
REPORTS TO: Communications Manager
COMPENSATION: Honorarium, up to $3,200 (determined by time commitment); College credit possible, please check with your academic advisor to make arrangements
Do you believe in the power of free, live music to transform individuals and their communities? Do you want to gain hands-on experience curating, creating and publishing content on behalf of a national arts foundation? If so, join Levitt’s communications team this spring!
The Communications Department shapes the branding, marketing and communications strategy for the Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation, also providing communications support for the Levitt AMP concert sites across the country, as needed.
The Communications Intern will support internal and external communications for the Levitt Foundation—helping to build and strengthen internal processes while curating and creating original web and social media content to promote the Levitt Foundation’s grant programs. This intern will also be assigned brand-building projects that tell the broader Levitt story.
- Author up to three blog posts about music, arts access, and/or creative placemaking-related stories tailored to your specific interests for the national Levitt blog
- Author up to two blog posts for a new national blog series that will highlight the voices and stories of Levitt grantees
- Help create engaging brand-building content to populate Levitt’s various social media platforms; create custom graphics, as needed
- Help promote, monitor and track the national #musicmoves campaign: crafting social media posts and tailored eblasts in preparation for the launch of the 2020 campaign; and monitoring the #musicmoves feed, once it goes live in May 2020
- Support the Communications Manager and Digital Communications Associate in the creation of 2020 Levitt National Tour promotional content, including custom graphics, social posts, promo videos and more
- Under the guidance of the Communications Manager, update 2020 Levitt AMP Music Series website content, as needed
- Track media coverage of the national Levitt network including Levitt AMP sites and permanent Levitt venues (both those in operation and development), identifying potential social media content in the process
- Support the maintenance of the Levitt photo archive through image tagging
- Help track Levitt AMP grantee acknowledgement of the Levitt Foundation
- Help keep the Levitt artist database up to date
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
- Must be a current undergraduate junior/senior, graduate student or recent graduate
- Preferably pursuing a degree in Communications, Marketing or Nonprofit/Arts Administration
- Some experience in graphic design, video editing and/or photography, a plus
- Well-versed and current in social media platforms, tools and trends
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Passion for Levitt’s mission
The Levitt Foundation realizes its mission of community through music through two main programs: permanent outdoor Levitt music venues and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards, an annual grants competition. In 2019, more than 550 free Levitt concerts took place in 26 towns and cities across America, serving more than 750,000 people.
Permanent Levitt venues are located in cities as diverse as Los Angeles; Denver; Westport, Connecticut; Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Dayton, Ohio; Memphis; and Arlington, Texas. Each permanent Levitt venue is programmed, managed and supported by its own 501(c)(3) Friends of Levitt nonprofit organization, presenting 50 free concerts every year. Due to accelerating interest from cities and engaged citizens, the Levitt network is growing, with developing Levitt locations across the country.
Since 2015, the Levitt Foundation has awarded more than $1.8 million total to 33 small- to mid-sized towns and cities across America through the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards program. On December 20, 2019, we will announce which nonprofits will receive $25K to present 10 free concerts in a reimagined public space, as part of the 2020 Levitt AMP Music Series.
All Levitt concerts feature acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning artists in a broad range of music genres. Levitt’s family-friendly vibe and open green spaces attract people of all ages and backgrounds. Friends, neighbors, as well as those whose paths might not cross otherwise, gather to relax on the lawn or dance to the music. As an example of the high-caliber talent presented across the Levitt network, the 2020 GRAMMY nominees include 17 artists who have performed on Levitt stages in recent years.
Email your cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Levitt Foundation Spring Communications Internship” in the subject line.
To learn more about the national Levitt Foundation, visit levitt.org.