Los Angeles, CA
Lounge Manager - REDCAT
- Position Category: Non-Academic
- Position Title: Lounge Manager - REDCAT
- School/Department: REDCAT
- Reports To: Deputy Executive Director/Curator
- Time: Full-Time
Information & Responsibilities
This full-time position reports to REDCAT’s Deputy Executive Director/Curator and is responsible for managing The Lounge/bar/concessions operations at REDCAT (Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater). The Lounge at REDCAT is an integral part of our operations and provides hospitality services in conjunction with performances, exhibitions and special events. The Lounge is the point of purchase for merchandise and a gathering point for a community of artists and audiences, and operates a minimum of six days a week, with hours that vary along with public programs. REDCAT is an interdisciplinary arts venue with a flexible 180–250 seat performance space and 3,000 square-foot gallery that presents influential contemporary artists working in performing, visual and media arts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Manage day-to-day operations of REDCAT Lounge retail sales, including food, coffee/espresso beverages, spirits, books and merchandise
• Organize all aspects of catered receptions and special events in coordination with REDCAT management
• Provide hospitality services to REDCAT guests and artists in coordination with REDCAT management
• Monitor food and labor costs to meet established projections, and maximize revenue through menu expansion and development, product selection and pricing, and catering revenues
• Ensure consistent and accurate financial management, cash handling, and daily/monthly inventory and sales reports; coordinate with Financial Manager on customer invoicing
• Manage hourly Lounge staff, including hiring, training, scheduling and performance evaluations
• Order inventory and supplies, working with various vendors, maintain Lounge equipment and facility;
• Assist in the creation and implementation of marketing and promotional efforts
• Ensure compliance with health regulations for food and alcoholic beverage service, and maintain excellent customer service standards, consistent quality product and variety, and professional presentation of the Lounge.
- Robust knowledge of retail food and beverage operations
• Substantive restaurant/bar managerial or supervisory experience
• Demonstrated understanding of laws, rules and regulations governing alcoholic beverage and food service
• Passionate and articulate interest in the contemporary arts
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
• Ability to lead, supervise and motivate staff, while working effectively as part of a team
• Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work effectively under pressure
How to Apply
This position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please indicate in the subject line: Lounge Manager in order to be considered.
Equity & Diversity
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) seeks to employ faculty who can engage our diverse communities of learners at the highest levels of artistic endeavor and critical thinking. Across the range of practitioners from artists to scholars and librarians, we welcome candidates who possess a demonstrated worldview and cultural competency to support teaching and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students of varied backgrounds, capabilities, perspectives, social identities and gender expressions. CalArts is an equal opportunity employer.
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees in all areas of visual and performing arts.