Los Angeles, CA
Reports to: Director of Development and Communications
At ShareWell, we cultivate brave and generous thinkers. Through arts, immersive play and real-world action, we guide children and youth to recognize injustice and possibility within their communities and beyond, and to take meaningful, collaborative and collective action to create a better future. ShareWell is comprised of two main initiatives: the Zimmer Children’s Museum and youTHink, an innovative youth development program. In early 2019, the children’s museum will relocate to Santa Monica, re-opening as the Cayton Children’s Museum.
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) reports to the Director of Development and Communications and works closely with the CEO and Founder and the Director of Development and Communications to actively drive fundraising efforts from individual and corporate donors with a focus on 4- and 5-figure gifts in support of our capital campaign, currently in the silent phase. Upon completion of the campaign in 2019, the MGO will be responsible for continued cultivation and stewardship of these and other donors for annual support. The MGO must be an experienced fundraiser and a self-directed team member who cultivates strong relationships with patrons to deepen engagement and increase support. The position will be based at the offices of the Zimmer Children’s Museum, currently in mid-Wilshire and moving in early 2019 to the Cayton Children’s Museum in Santa Monica.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Managing Director, Director of Development, and CEO and Founder to develop and coordinate major gift solicitations for the capital campaign.
- Maintain a personal portfolio of major gift prospects (defined as giving a gift of $1,000 or more).
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for this portfolio of prospects, developing and implementing a written donor strategy and relationship record of all interactions.
- Communicate with portfolio through face-to-face cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings, and written strategies; ensure that each major donor and prospect has a clear strategy and timeline for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Work with the CEO and Founder on a weekly basis to ensure that her cultivation and solicitation activities are on target; ensure all pertinent information and actions are recorded.
- In collaboration with stakeholders, identify and qualify prospects before assigning to the appropriate solicitor.
- Write briefings and proposals, and craft decks as needed for prospect meetings.
- Identify and secure support for major special event fundraisers: Discovery Award Dinner and We All Play.
- Work with event producer and volunteer committee in planning donor-facing aspects of the Cayton Children’s Museum Grand Opening in combination with We All Play fundraising event.
- Provide regular updates on campaign support and milestone achievements.
- Share responsibility for reaching capital campaign and annual fundraising goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of Development experience and proven success personally soliciting gifts.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Successful track record working with boards, donors, the public, and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to achieve results in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative workstyle.
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with donor databases and Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Schedule flexibility and ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Compensation package includes health, dental, vacation and sick days, plus more
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and cover letter to Jeanette Woodburn at job[email protected] with subject line “Major Gifts Officer”. No phone calls please.
ShareWell (home of Zimmer Children’s Museum & YOUTHINK) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.