Long Beach Community College District
Manager, Art Gallery and Exhibits
Job Type: Full Time
Closing: 4/5/2022 6:00 PM Pacific
Location: Both Liberal Arts Campus & Pacific Coast Campus, CA
Department: Visual & Media Arts
Manager, Art Gallery and Exhibits
(CURRENT VACANCY: 100%, 12 MONTHS)
MGT Range 7 ($81,405-$110,915)
** Job Opportunity will be advertised for 30 days. Applications will only be accepted from Tuesday, March 15th through Tuesday, April 4th. **
Window may close early or extend based on the volume of applications
The Visual & Media Arts Department at Long Beach City College seeks qualified individuals for the position of Art Gallery Manager. The candidate should have specialized knowledge of all aspects relating to the planning, organizing, curating, programming and directing the operations of a college art gallery/museum.
The Art Gallery Manager joins the Visual & Media Arts Department at a pivotal moment for the program. Reporting to the VMA Department Head, the Art Gallery Manager will play a key role in bringing renewed attention to the visual arts at Long Beach City College. The Art Gallery Manager brings creativity and vision to the exhibition program and works collaboratively with VMA Department faculty to develop a dynamic and rigorous program of exhibitions that enhances the department's profile, supports curriculum and increases audience engagement.
The successful candidate will be an exemplary collaborator, possess deep knowledge in one or more areas relevant to art gallery management, and have a proven record of curatorial experience. We are looking for someone who has a Bachelor's Degree in fine arts, studio art, art history, or related field and four years of art gallery experience. If this describes you, we encourage you to apply for the opportunity to joint the innovative and talented LBCC team!
AT-A-GLANCE POSITION INFORMATION
• Type of position: Full Time, Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm (and evenings and weekends as needed)
• Location: LAC & PCC
• Salary: MGT Range 7 (81,405-$110,915)
• Advanced salary placement: Generally, new employees start at the first step on the salary schedule. Advanced salary placement may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
• Benefits: The District provides an excellent and comprehensive benefits package. Please refer to the Benefits tab for more details.
• Eligibility list: We reserve the right to use an established eligibility list for vacancies in this classification. The eligibility list will be valid for 12 months once approved by the Personnel Commission.
• All Long Beach Community College employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Jan 3, 2022 in compliance with District Policy. Please note that if selected for employment, you must provide proof of fully vaccinated status by date of hire. Documented proof of vaccination is required as part of the onboarding process. Individuals requesting accommodation must do so in a timely manner for consideration. For more information on LBCC District COVID-19 policy and guides please view our https://www.lbcc.edu/return-campus page.
For further information on the position or application process, please contact (562) 938-4146.
Under the direction of the Art Department Head, plans, organizes, directs and participates in the operation of the College Art Gallery; and performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Manages, plans, and organizes the operation of the college art gallery and exhibits.
2. Creates an exhibition program in consultation with Visual & Media Arts Department Faculty.
3. Directs and participates in the acquisition, classification, curation, documentation, preservation and display of art objects.
4. Coordinates the proper completion of documents with College personnel, artists and organizations.
5. Designs exhibitions and the layout and paste up of the mailer and other all related promotional and publicity materials.
6. Schedules and assists the work of personnel engaged in the pickup, transportation and unpacking of exhibitions, exhibition preparation and display and the repacking of art objects, and all related exhibit materials. collection.
7. Organizes and presents receptions, panels, public lectures and other related art gallery events. talks during the run of an exhibition showing.
8. Directs educational and public relations programs designed to enhance public engagement. the public use, understanding and enjoyment of the gallery facilities.
9. Establishes and maintain liaison relationships with local, state, national and international gallery/museum colleagues, artists, art professionals and cultural organizations/groups. art galleries and artisans concerned with the gallery.
10. Interacts and collaborates with Music, Theater and Dance various college departments and programs to develop exhibitions and community projects.
11. Lectures to various College and community classes and organizations to present the role and operation of the College Art Gallery. Represents Long Beach City College to the outside community to promote the gallery and its programs.
12. Hires, trains, assigns supervises and reviews the work of assigned student assistants, staff and volunteers. Disciplines and terminates staff as appropriate.
13. Completes and maintains related work and payroll time cards and records. Compiles, monitors and controls art gallery budget.
14. Purchases and maintains supplies and materials inventory.
15. Coordinates gallery security; assures proper and secure hanging and placement of art pieces.
16. Performs related duties as assigned
For the full position description, please click here https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/lbcc/classspecs/744732?keywords=gallery%20coor&pagetype=classSpecifications
Education, Training and Experience:
A Bachelor's Degree in fine arts, studio art, art history or a related field and four years art gallery design, display and exhibit experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance policy.
Meeting the minimum requirements of the position does not guarantee advancement in the selection process. Candidate qualifications will be assessed to determine those who meet and exceed requirements, and are deemed most competitive amongst the applicant pool to proceed.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
To be considered a candidate for this position, all materials required should be received by the Long Beach City College Office of Human Resources by the closing date. Incomplete or late applications will be disqualified from further consideration. Qualified candidates will be notified in writing if they are moving forward in the selection process.
• Submit a completed online application through NEOGOV. All portions of the application must be entirely filled out to be considered for this position.
• If the position requires a college degree, transcripts or copy of a diploma, the required document must be attached at the time of application. Unofficial transcripts are accepted during this phase. For experience substitution in lieu of education, please make sure to attach a statement clearly outlining how your additional experience covers the education requirement, on a year-for-year basis, and qualifies you to be considered for this position.
• If you participate in and fail any examination segment, you must wait a period of 90 days (~3 months) to test again for the same classification.
The following examination segments may be utilized during the selection process:
• Application screening: Week of April 11, 2022
• Written Exam (%)/Subject Matter Expert Review: TBD
*** PLEASE NOTE: The District reserves the right to utilize a flexible pass point (cut-off score) on any test part to meet the staffing needs as determined by the District. Applicants that most closely meet the needs of the District will proceed with the recruitment process. ***
If you require special accommodations in the Application, Testing, Interview or Selection Process, you are required to notify the Human Resources Office at least two days prior to the closing date of the posting, by calling (562) 938-4547 or (562) 938-4371 .
Transfer Requests for current LBCC Employees:
District employees may request to transfer by completing the https://www.lbcc.edu/sites/main/files/file-attachments/transfer-request-form.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
LONG BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Long Beach Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and equity-minded hiring practices. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunities and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2925779