Los Angeles, CA
POSITION: Manager of Community Engagement
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Geffen Playhouse is a non-profit, professional theater dedicated to enriching the cultural life of Los Angeles through plays and educational programs that inform, entertain and inspire.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion Statement:
In recognition of the essential examination of systemic racism and injustices, we at the Geffen Playhouse commit to continued analysis and expansion of our own institutional practices in order to be part of the solution. Our vision for the Geffen is that people of all races, faiths, sexual orientations, abilities, genders and backgrounds find it an easily accessible and highly relevant source of art that reflects the dynamic human experience and galvanizes a more equitable and vibrant community. In adopting this statement, we are amplifying our strategic and ongoing commitment to improving and increasing the cultural diversity, equity and inclusion of our audiences, staff, artists, board and programming.
We are committed to the safety and health of our employees, visitors, and the public we serve. As such, Geffen is proud to have implemented a mandatory vaccination policy, requiring COVID-19 vaccination(s) for all employees, including contracted third-party staff, and new hires. In accordance with our mission, we firmly believe that vaccinating all employees is essential for our community’s safety and health. Should you have any questions regarding this, please speak with your recruiting contact directly. The Company understands and respects that a limited number of candidates may have medical or religious reasons for not receiving the vaccine. As such, we are asking those candidates who wish to request an exemption from being required to be vaccinated, submit a request for their exemption through Human Resources once hired.
Geffen Playhouse seeks a highly qualified theater professional to join the Education & Community Engagement department on a full-time basis. The Manager of Community Engagement in collaboration with the Director of Education & Community Engagement and Manager of Theater Education, will play a key role in the successful implementation of Geffen Playhouse education and community engagement programs, which aim to provide outstanding artistic experiences and learning opportunities to students and community groups across Los Angeles. The Manager of Community Engagement reports to the Director of Education & Community Engagement.
- Collaborates with Geffen Playhouse Education & Community Engagement team to design, coordinate, oversee, and implement programs and events at the Geffen Playhouse and various school and organization locations throughout Los Angeles.
- Helps cultivate new relationships with community partners across Los Angeles County and specifically with underserved and under-resourced communities while also serving as liaison to all education program team members and community group leaders.
- Supports, facilitates and/or guides theater-making, scene building and/or monologue writing workshops for students or community groups.
- Supports communications and administrative tasks for multiple projects.
- Coordinates and supports space, food and materials for on-site and off-site events.
- Conducts research, coordinates the publishing of study guides and oversees the development and printing of all written materials.
- Creates and maintains the master calendar, schedules engagement events and reserves space location for community programs.
- Attends weekly departmental meetings and professional development workshops designed to support enhanced methods of teaching, learning or engagement practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
All programs and tasks to be conducted virtually online or in person in accordance with current California, LAUSD & Geffen Playhouse COVID 19 mandates and policies.
SKILLS AND BACKGROUND
- Passionate about empowering learners of all ages as playgoers, creators, critical thinkers, communicators, and community members.
- Experience in the performing arts as an artist, arts administrator, or educator.
- Knowledgeable about theater and the performing arts, including aspects of the artistic, historical and cultural contexts.
- Experience working with students, seniors or groups of diverse communities and cultures, including those traditionally underrepresented and underserved.
- Experienced planner, facilitator and/or teaching artist of theater programs for people of all ages, abilities or aspirations.
- Exceptional organizational skills and initiative in executing time-sensitive projects, and attention to detail, in a fast-paced working environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal, collaborative, written and verbal communication skills.
- Dependable, responsive, prepared and flexible.
- Experience with and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion practices, initiatives, and program integrations.
- Proficiency working with the Windows Suite of software (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint) and ability and willingness to learn new software systems.
The Geffen Playhouse aims to build a diverse and inclusive workplace, in which we strongly encourage non-conforming and historically excluded individuals to apply for any and all available positions.
- B.A. or B.F.A. required
- Highly desirable: Teaching Artist experience
TIME & TRANSPORTATION
- Must be able to commit to full-time work
- Must be available to coordinate and support events on some evenings and weekend days
- Has the ability to travel to and from school sites and organizations in various communities, including but not limited to: East Los Angeles, South Los Angeles, Westchester, San Fernando Valley
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is $53,000 full-time & non-exempt. The Geffen Playhouse offers medical, dental and vision benefits to full-time salaried employees, a $25K life insurance policy, and 401K eligibility.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and references in.pdf or word document format to www.geffenplayhouse.org/apply. No phone calls, please. Deadline to apply is September 30, 2021.