The Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles, CA
Manager of Family Programs
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks candidates for the position of Manager of Family Programs within the Education and Visitor Experience department. This position will manage a team that develops and implements participatory programs for families of all types, especially those with young children. S/he will provide staff management, program creation and implementation, operational support, and support administrative and budget planning for Skirball family offerings that relate to and take place within its art studio and archaeological dig site, indoor and outdoor performance spaces, Museum galleries, and the award-winning destination Noah’s Ark at the Skirball™.
The Manager of Family Programs reports to the Head of Noah’s Ark and Family Programs within the Education and Visitor Experience department. S/he works closely with other Education and Visitor Experience staff and across many Skirball departments. This is a full-time position that includes regular weekend and occasional evening work.
- Select, plan, organize, and implement a wide variety of offerings for families and their children, including performances, art studio projects, archaeological programs, campus-wide festivals, sleepovers, and in-gallery experiences.
- Manage a team of regular and on-call staff and volunteers (including a Teen Corps); provide leadership, support, and guidance to ensure that content and experience goals are met.
- Identify innovative artists and performers for family programs. Shape or collaborates on content to ensure appropriateness, accessibility, and mission alignment for a general family audience. Negotiate/contract for their services.
- Develop and write planning and program materials for programs and oversee their production and distribution.
- Work closely with members of other Skirball departments—especially Public Programs, Operations, Communications and Marketing, and Private Events—to ensure smooth, collaborative planning and successful promotion and implementation of all Skirball family programs.
- Support the Head of Noah’s Ark and Family Programs in developing the annual family programs budget, and track/control expenses to ensure compliance with approved budget. Interpret data and identify trends.
- Provide support to the Head of Noah’s Ark and Family Programs with employee recruiting, hiring, orientation, and training materials. Help build awareness for Education and Visitor Experience staff about general Skirball policies and procedures.
- Contribute to meetings, track myriad details, and seek to improve processes.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in performing arts, arts education, museum education, or related field
- Prior experience in successfully managing a team and providing effective leadership and coaching to staff and volunteers
- Prior experience in developing and managing inspiring programs for families, particularly those that are performance based and experiential
- Orientation toward child-directed, flexible, inquiry-based, participatory learning with a focus on collaboration and respect for every learner
- Organizational skills sufficient to plan large-scale projects and initiatives
- Excellent oral and listening communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultures, ages, and backgrounds
- Excellent written communication skills, including strong editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain productive relationships within an organization and within the field
- Active interest in the Skirball’s mission and goals
- Clear resonance with Noah’s Ark at the Skirball’s aesthetic and educational approach
- Collaborative work style preferred; ability and willingness to multitask and assist as needed, accept and support change, and adapt to different work styles and needs
- Some knowledge of Jewish culture and traditions desirable
- Personal computer skills; proficiency utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter by e-mail, FAX, or mail to:
Re: Manager of Family Programs
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX: (310) 440-4595