The Colburn School
Los Angeles, CA
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, the Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four different units: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts (CSPA), the Colburn Music Academy and Colburn Dance, and is a leader in community engagement through its new Center on Innovation and Community Impact.
The Colburn School's mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
The Manager of Performance Activities is responsible for the smooth management and execution of all aspects of large ensembles and chamber music within the Colburn School Conservatory and Music Academy. This includes orchestra personnel, performance logistics, chamber music logistics, and regular communication with faculty, students, and staff.
Application deadline: search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit application materials no later than July 15, 2019 to ensure consideration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain regular communication with Artistic, Production, Communications, and staff of each unit for coordination of all facets of orchestra activities for the Conservatory orchestral (Colburn Orchestra) and Music Academy string ensemble (Virtuosi)
- Work collaboratively on scheduling, repertoire, guests, and personnel/attendance issues for the Colburn Orchestra, reporting to the Music Director and as a member of the Orchestra Committee
- Work with the director of Virtuosi as above
- Maintain the Colburn Orchestra Syllabus and policy document
- Obtain personnel and performance information/needs for all performance material from the Performance Librarian
- Manage personnel rotations, student absences and correspondence
- Hire extra personnel, arrange for instrument rentals and student transportation for orchestral performances
- Be present for and oversee Orchestra services. Position requires the ability to work evenings and weekends
- Create, maintain and manage the Colburn Orchestra budget
- Assist Director of Chamber Music with all aspects of the Conservatory and Music Academy chamber music programs
- Assist with annual meetings and placement into chamber music ensembles
- Coordinate chamber music rehearsal/coaching logistics with faculty and the Facilities Scheduler
- Create concert programs for chamber music performances
- Coordinate with the Community Initiatives Office for performances in the community
- Coordinate with outside performers such as the LA Young Artists Program
- Train and supervise part-time student workers
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Degree in music or equivalent, and substantial orchestral performance/management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience as an ensemble manager, or other arts administration.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with the management of music performance materials and electronic information resources.
- Familiarity with office software (Microsoft Office suite) including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and Internet applications, as well as music notation and orchestra management software (OPAS).
- Position requires the ability to work evenings and weekends.
Excellent salary and great benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD, 403(b) retirement plan free parking and more!
Apply online at: