Cornerstone Theater Company
Los Angeles, CA
MANAGER OF SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Cornerstone Theater Company makes plays with and about communities. For over 30 years, Cornerstone has brought together an ensemble of professional artists of the highest caliber with people who would never think of themselves as artists to produce works of excellence based on the stories, concerns and issues of a given community. Our plays celebrate many voices, and are staged in theaters and in parking lots, in factories, schools and subway stations.
We strive to include people who have not been on stage or even seen theater. We’ve taken up residence in small towns and urban neighborhoods, collaborating with locals from start to finish to tell their unique stories through theater. By combining the artistry of people with many levels of theatrical experience, we act upon the conviction that artistic expression is civic engagement and that access to a creative forum is essential to the wellness and health of every individual and community.
Cornerstone operates within an environment where there is both a need for, and high interest in, community-based creative practice. The position of Manager of Social Enterprise is being created to open up new opportunities for engaged theatrical practice; to forge strategic partnerships; and importantly, to diversify Cornerstone’s sources of support. The company envisions a multi-faceted program of expanded offerings representing significant growth potential.
Reporting to the Managing Director (MD) the Manager of Social Enterprise will leverage Cornerstone’s unique community-engaged methodology in the development and expansion of income generating consulting projects. Clients for these projects include but are not limited to:
• Municipal agencies within Los Angeles County and other areas to implement creative practice related to civic challenges and to encourage civic cohesion and provide a facilitated process as appropriate;
• Non-profit organizations, including other theater companies, to plan, facilitate and/or train practitioners in play-making processes in collaboration with communities of interest; and
• Corporations/businesses, as appropriate, to facilitate a play-making process, engagement training for employees, or facilitation of internal dialogue and convenings.
The position will identify, cultivate and manage a robust roster of training and consulting engagements that are expected to yield additional commissioned projects for Cornerstone.
• Successful experience in sales, marketing, and/or fundraising with a proven track record of achieving and exceeding revenue goals;
• Demonstrated ability working with senior staff, artists, board members, volunteers, foundations, and community partners;
• Adept at managing multiple priorities, thinking strategically, and collaborating with team members and community partners;
• Exceptional interpersonal, communication and partnership-building skills;
• Strong organizational and computer skills;
• Experience in performing arts or other nonprofit organizations (preferred);
• Experience building community and/or community organizing (preferred);
• Facilitation and program design skills (preferred);
• Shared commitment to the aesthetic and methodology of this innovative, contemporary and truly community-engaged theater company.
Bachelors Degree required; Advanced degree in Arts Management or Business (preferred)
The salary is commensurate with experience and comparably sized nonprofit organizations. Cornerstone offers a highly competitive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, generous time off policy and retirement saving through a SIMPLE IRA. Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, religious creed, disability (mental and physical), medical condition, genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, denial of family and medical care leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
For full job description visit: http://cornerstonetheater.org/opportunities/
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to Managing Director, Megan Wanlass at: [email protected]rnerstonetheater.org
PLEASE WRITE “Manager_of_Social_Enterprise _ firstname _ lastname” IN THE SUBJECT LINE.