Los Angeles, CA
Geffen Playhouse seeks a highly qualified theater professional to join the Education and Community Engagement department on a full-time salary basis.
Education and Community Engagement: Geffen Playhouse’s education and community engagement programs provide young people and adults the opportunity to attend plays at the Geffen and experience how theater can enlarge their understanding of themselves, others and the world. Actively exploring the plays’ themes and how theater is created and presented helps participants connect to the plays in meaningful ways. Engaging in theater-making offers them quality learning in theater and enables them to voice authentic experiences that educate and inspire audiences. Wherever possible, activities strengthen learners’ critical thinking, writing and speaking skills. As much as the Geffen aims to contribute to the well-being of students and community members, it also believes they bring unique perspectives to the work and seeks to align its programs with their aspirations.
- Collaborates with the Education and Community Engagement team and other Geffen departments to implement the Geffen Playhouse Literacy Project, High School Partnerships Program, Lights Up and Veterans Writing and Performance Project
- Reports to the Director of Education and Community Engagement to support the design, coordination and management of learning experiences in theater for all programs
- Collaborates with the Education team to refine and develop programs
- Coordinates, provides materials and supplies for and supports teaching artist sessions at schools and organizations
- Collaborates with the Manager of School and Community Programs in the coordination and support of other Education programs and events
- Serves as a teaching artist as needed
- Attends departmental meetings on a weekly basis
- Performs other administrative and teaching duties as assigned
- 5 years’ experience as a theater artist
- 5 years’ experience as a teaching artist for K-12 students
- Experience in providing professional development to adult learners is a plus
- Exceptional organizational abilities, initiative in carrying out and completing time-sensitive projects, and attention to detail, in a fast-paced working environment
- Outstanding interpersonal, collaborative and written and verbal communication skills
- Capacity to be a gracious, resourceful, upbeat team player, under pressure
- Open to learning about and sustaining the quality of all Geffen programs
- Understands the connection between expert coordination and program quality
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook programs
- B.A. or B.F.A. required
- M.F.A. preferred
- Must be able to commit to full-time work
- Must be available to coordinate and support events on some evenings and weekend days
- Has own transportation to travel to and from school sites and organizations in various communities, including but not limited to: East Los Angeles, South Los Angeles, Westchester, San Fernando Valley
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full medical, dental and vision benefits.
Please send a cover letter that includes why you are interested in collaborating with the Education and Community Engagement team at Geffen Playhouse; your résumé; and three professional references to ManagerTheaterEducation@geffenplayhouse.org. Deadline is Monday, December 17, 2018. No phone calls, please.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Geffen Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer and will not unlawfully discriminate regarding any employee, applicant, intern (paid or unpaid), or volunteer. It is a policy of the Geffen that employment shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence.