The Colburn School
Los Angeles, CA
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, The Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four different units: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts, the Colburn Music Academy and the Colburn Dance Academy. The Community Engagement office serves all four units with various programmatic initiatives.
The Colburn School's mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
The Marketing Manager develops and implements marketing strategies to help promote ticket, recruitment, and fundraising goals. In consultation with the Vice President of Communications, the Marketing Manager is responsible for setting annual attendance and revenue goals for Colburn’s ticketed events, reporting regularly on progress, and ultimately meeting these goals. He/she develops an annual marketing plan to promote performances and manages the marketing budget and adjusts as needed throughout the year. The Marketing Manager also works with academic and advancement departments to develop marketing strategies to help meet annual fundraising goals, and will similarly work with academic leadership to develop a strategy to attract new students.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to help promote ticket, recruitment, and fundraising goals.
- In consultation with the VP of Communications, set annual attendance and revenue goals for Colburn’s ticketed events, reporting regularly on progress, and ultimately meeting these goals.
- Meet annual revenue goals, report out regularly on progress.
- Manage the marketing budget and adjust as needed based on response. Measure ROI of marketing spend vs. revenue generated/leads generated/applicants attracted/etc.
- Manage all advertising, including digital advertising; print, outdoor, and radio advertising; email marketing; YouTube ad campaigns; and direct mail.
- Work with VP of Communications to develop annual Season Brochure, set annual ticket prices, and explore ways to maximize revenue through ticketing.
- Partner closely with Assistant Director of Communications, Web Manager, and social media manager on content strategy.
- Drafts copy for event marketing and constituent engagement materials.
- Reach out to neighboring institutions to form strategic partnerships, finding opportunities for list sharing, crossover promotion to like-minded audiences, and related perks.
- Oversee the patron experience, ensuring a smooth engagement path from ticket purchase through attendance at events. To include the front of house patron experience.
- Manage an external box office specialist.
- Finds ways to deepen the patron engagement through upselling – i.e. converting from ticket buyers to donors, attracting community music families to performances, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates should have three to five years of experience in marketing, with strong writing and project-management skills. Familiarity with music, dance, and the performing arts is strongly recommended, and a desire to learn quickly about them is essential. In addition, the Colburn School is looking for the following qualities:
- Ability to plan and implement marketing campaigns in conjunction with academic and advancement administration to help the school reach its admissions and enrollment goals, and fundraising goals
- Experience with analyzing data on audience behavior—surveys, social media statistics, email open rates—and building or altering effective strategies to inspire action and engagement
- Knowledge of and experience with all marketing tools, particularly online advertising, as well as direct mail, print advertising, email, and outdoor advertising.
- Strategic thinker with ability to manage the needs of multiple institutional stakeholders.
- Ability to write and edit effective marketing copy
- Ability to manage a marketing calendar
- Excellent organization and time management skills and ability to work in fast-paced environment.
Excellent salary and great benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD, 403(b) retirement plan and more!
Apply online at: