Los Angeles, CA
Reports To: Associate Director, Communications
Location: P.S. ARTS Office, Los Angeles
Schedule: 10 -15 hours per week, days of the week TBD
Designation: Part-time, Non-exempt
Salary Range: School Credit Preferred OR $13.50/hour (must be enrolled in an accredited university and able to receive school credit)
P.S. ARTS is dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing arts education to underserved public schools and communities. P.S. ARTS is the only organization in Southern and Central California that provides yearlong arts education in dance, music, theater and visual arts to every child in a school during the regular school day. Without our programs, children in these underfunded school districts would not have access to the arts.
P.S. ARTS is looking for a highly creative, motivated, and driven individual who can support the organization’s communications and marketing. The Media and Designs Intern will work closely with the Associate Director, Communications and will perform a variety of skilled marketing, communications, and design duties directly relating to P.S. ARTS’ External Affairs efforts. These include conceptualizing and producing creative campaigns and a wide variety of graphic materials for P.S. ARTS' programs and events (invites, reports, brochures, appeals); drafting social media, blog, and newsletter content; assisting with research related to press outreach and advocacy efforts; and managing the P.S. ARTS photo database and other marketing assets. By the end of the internship, the intern will have gained skills in design, print production, navigating a professional environment, and insight into nonprofit work environments.
As with all P.S. ARTS employees, the Media and Design Intern takes part in a comprehensive performance management program which includes weekly department meetings along with one-on-one meetings with the Associate Director, Communications to track progress on goals and an end-of-internship exit interview. The Communications Intern is also expected to model P.S. ARTS’ values of Art, Community, Equity, Innovation, Excellence and Life-long Learning.
Qualifications and Training:
- The ability to create compelling designs for both print and digital platforms
- A portfolio reflecting strong understanding of graphic design principles, brand identity, photography and typography
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with various departments to finish necessary projects
- Ability to work independently and think creatively to solve problems
- Interest in the mission of P.S. ARTS and arts education
- Experience with the following software and databases:
- Mac iOS
- Adobe Suite
- Microsoft Office
- A multi-tasker
- Assist the Associate Director, Communications with conceptualizing and producing print and digital campaigns;
- Draft social media, blog and newsletter content related to P.S. ARTS programs and events;
- Assist in the layout and design of various P.S. ARTS collateral including but not limited to event invites, email banners, brochures, annual reports, impact reports, donor appeals, and Prezi/PowerPoint presentations;
- Manage photo database and other marketing assets;
- Please note this description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Intern for this internship. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change in response to department needs and the Intern’s interest.
- Perform work while seated at a desk for several hours
- Travel and attend meetings and events outside the office, which may require occasional use of a motor vehicle for transportation to other locations. Mileage reimbursement is provided.
- Occasionally lift up to 40lbs.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter, resume and design samples or a link to a portfolio to email@example.com with the subject line “MEDIA AND DESIGN INTERN”
Application Deadline: September 21, 2018
Phone and in-person interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
PLEASE NO HARD COPIES OR PHONE CALLS.
P.S. ARTS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and dedicated to better reflecting the communities we serve. P.S. ARTS is actively taking steps to meet our commitment to diversity and to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.