Environmental Charter Schools
Middle School Art Instructor (2018-2019 Academic School Year)
Job Location: ECMS-Inglewood - Inglewood, CA
Position Type: Part Time
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Salary Range: $25.00 - $35.00 Hourly
Job Shift: Day
Job Categories: Education
Would you like to be a part of a unique educational community while helping the environment? Do you want to grow professionally while making an impact on the future? At Environmental Charter Schools you will have the opportunity to be a part of this movement.
About Environmental Charter Schools
Environmental Charter Schools is an innovative network of free public schools serving more than 1,000 students in the South Los Angeles County. Our mission is to create and deliver vibrant, innovative, interdisciplinary learning opportunities using the environment to engage students and connect them to the wider world. At ECS, our students are equipped with the knowledge and skills to graduate from college, inspired to discover their own sense of purpose, and empowered to become quality stewards of their communities.
The Middle School Art/Handwork Instructor supports our study of 6th and 7th grade academic standards (history, science, language arts, and math) through art and handwork. Instructor will need experience teaching middle school or high school students, the ability to manage a classroom of 25-30 students and knowledge of the practical arts. Sample activities might include papyrus-making to support the study of Ancient Egypt, weaving to support our Ancient Greece unit, perspective drawing from the Renaissance, or drawing circles free hand with homemade protractors to support a geometry unit. Curriculum is to be developed in collaboration with our staff.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Demonstrate knowledge and support of the school’s mission, vision, policies and procedures, and charter petition
- Contribute to a positive and safe classroom environment that promotes the exchange of ideas
- Communicate and model high standards for student behavior by teaching and practicing Tribes Agreements
- Constructively contribute to interdisciplinary curriculum design and implementation
- Design and implement traditional and authentic assessments and use data to develop instruction which is responsive to all students’ needs
- Deliver instruction which is developmentally and culturally relevant, offers access to multiple learning modalities, and provides equitable access for all students
- Create and deliver curriculum that is aligned to ECS and school site missions
- Use the environment as an integrating context for instruction, including teaching and modeling sustainable practices in the classroom
- Promote critical thinking through inquiry, problem-solving, and reflection in lessons
- Participate in annual overnight field trip
- Engage in timely, professional and effective communication with all stakeholders, including families, partners, colleagues, staff and administrators.
- Attend team and department meetings and work with colleagues (special ed, ELD, grade level, etc) to develop curriculum and lesson planning
- Actively and productively contribute to professional development workshops
- Reflect on own teaching and actively engage in teacher development processes.
- Positively offer, receive and use constructive feedback
- Engage community partners to support instructional program and to provide resources and/or experiences for students/staff.
- Participate in accreditation committees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Experience, Education & Skills
- Commitment to achieving the mission of ECS for every student in our community
- Bachelor’s from an accredited college or university
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative student data
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Must be computer literate (MS Office)
- Experience working with middle or high school students
- Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Continual speaking; standing for long periods of time; frequent sitting, reaching, walking, bending, grasping and pinching; occasional lifting and carrying, squatting, twisting or kneeling.
ECS does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of age, actual or perceived race, actual or perceived gender, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, or sexual orientation. ECS complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a disability.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please include the following:
1. Engaging cover letter
3. Letters of recommendations