Los Angeles, CA
Under the supervision of the Music Department Chair, the Music Department Production Manager is responsible for all event production, programming, and promotion, and for community outreach for the Music Department. The Production Manager is also the chief technologist for Music, supporting faculty in overseeing and maintaining the department’s technology, equipment, and related spaces. Supporting all tracks in the Music major curriculum, the Production Manager plays a directorial role in regularly scheduled curricular events and in leading initiatives to develop Music Department programs, and is the department’s events liaison with Admissions, Institutional Advancement, and Alumni Affairs. As the manager of the department’s website and social media, as well as the coordinator for music-based internships, the Production Manager serves as the liaison to Occidental’s Hameetman Career Center.
The start date for this position is July 1, 2019.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to this job. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinate and assist with the production and publicity of Music Department curricular events and concerts, including designing flyers for all departmental events and some events sponsored by other departments in cooperation with the Music Department. Coordinate and assist with non-curricular events. Record, edit, and archive audio recordings for concerts and recitals. Handle outreach to local schools, arts organizations, and businesses to promote Music Department events. Set up and break down electronics at events that require amplification. Maintain equipment inventory, including speakers, mixers, microphone stands, and cables. Return damaged equipment to manufacturer for repair or replacement as needed.
- Support the faculty in overseeing all department technology, equipment, and related spaces. Support the faculty in the development of the Music Production program by acting as liaison for technology and equipment purchasing, including Facilities work requests and student equipment contracts.
- Serve as the principal support person for the entire performance program, under the supervision of the Director of Instrumental Activities and Director of Choral & Vocal Activities
- Handle scheduling for performance events and maintain internal and public calendars. Coordinate events schedule to minimize overlap with events produced by other arts departments, Oxy Arts, and the Office of Student Life
- Plan and implement scheduled updates and enhancements to the Music Department website. Assist with online multimedia content. Coordinate with campus photographer to set up photo shoots of classes and events for online and print promotional materials. Contract and coordinate with external college promoters.
- Coordinate recitals, master classes, and residencies sponsored by the Culley and Hume Funds. Plan annual Culley Budget in consultation with Chair. Track all Culley and Hume transactions. Create annual Culley Fund reports for Donor Relations Office.
- Evaluate solicitations and contact artists of interest; correspond with guest artists’ agents and representatives and oversee the contract process. Ensure that campus instruments are fit for use by guest artists.
- Train and oversee student employees to assist with tasks as needed
- Support the Department Chair in Occidental’s partnerships with the Grammy Museum, the Johnston-Fix Foundation, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- Plan and implement social media content calendars and track community engagement.
Maintain a “News” section on the Music Department site and produce write-ups for noteworthy events and happenings, with supporting photographs and external web links, as a record of the department’s history and stature.
- Coordinate with other departments and programs, such as ITS, Communications, Master Calendar, Oxy Arts, and Alumni and Community Engagement to align Music Department programming with wider strategies to advance the reputation of the college
- Develop a Music Department newsletter to be sent out each August and January
- Coordinate and consult with the Senior Administrative Assistant and Department Chair on all of the above
- Assist faculty and guest lecturers with the creation of slideshow presentations, conference table settings, name badges
- Coordinate cross-departmental academic projects
- Assist with and coordinate Orientation Week processes, including creating online surveys for incoming music students, maintaining online audition sign-up sheets, and attending the Student Services Fair for recruitment purposes
- Maintain, update, and redesign the Music Dept. lobby bulletin boards and faculty/staff directories
- Serve as liaison for restoration of antique keyboard instruments through external contractors; maintain storage spaces with proper environment for longevity of instruments; move instruments as needed for classes, rehearsals, and concerts
- Keep written records of work tasks, processes, rules, partnerships, website accounts, common issues, vendors, and schedules in order to train and pass on to successors
- Strong leadership skills, development mindset, and the ability to delegate tasks
- Excellent communication, organizational, problem solving, and research skills
- Excellent planning and time management skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience with audio hardware and software, and ability to resolve general computer troubleshooting issues
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals
- Background in music administration, event management, and marketing
- Experience with website administration and graphic design software
- Must be able to work some flexible hours that may include evenings and weekends
- Candidate must be capable of lifting 50 lbs. and performing light physical labor
As a condition of hire for a staff position and for appointment to a faculty position, Occidental College requires that all candidates who have received a conditional offer of employment complete an application form (if they have not already done so) and consent to a background check. Satisfactory completion of a background check, along with pre-employment verifications and references are required as a condition of employment, but only as permitted by federal, state, and local law, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.