Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (“NHMLAC”) was the first museum in L.A. to open its doors 108 years ago and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County—including NHM at Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits and museum in mid-Wilshire, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall—is looking forward to new building projects and campaigns, exhibitions, community outreach, and innovative audience engagement.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County values and endeavors to support diversity, equity, inclusion, and access within its organization and communities. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color (BIPOC), neurodiverse, a woman, a person with a disability, a veteran, and/or a part of the LGBTQAI+ community are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The NHMLAC is seeking a Creative Director for our Creative Services department. The Creative Director works closely with the Chief Strategy & External Relations Officer to lead the creative for brand strategy, design direction, video and image content for the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County (NHMLAC) strengthening the brand and achieving the organization's creative vision onsite, in print, online, on-air and in digital media at the Natural History Museum. It is an exciting time as we embark on new journeys of becoming a museum of, for, and with L.A.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Brand Strategy and Visual Communications: Directs, plans and implements brand strategies, overall concepts and creative work for all Museum branding and communications, including marketing collateral, advertising, signage, web, digital, video, social media and retail. Leads brand assessment, refresh, and implementation internally and externally. Directs and evaluates the work of Museum staff and contractors to effectively translate the Museum's brand into visual communication.
- Design Studio: Directs the work of a highly efficient and creative environment, optimizes and tracks projects for the studio including assigning projects to staff, evaluating their work, ensuring smooth workflow, quality of work and refining production systems to ensure projects are delivered on time. Empowers creative staff, facilitating information flow between Creative team members and other departments.
- Photography and Digital Archives: Oversees the Studio Manager’s photography production to ensure that the Museum's digital archive of images are on-brand and accessible for use in print, digital, environmental, media/PR and curatorial needs.
- Provides direction for photographic imagery for the Museum's brand: including assets for exhibits, advertising campaigns, marketing collateral (print and digital), digital initiatives, and other imagery needs. Builds a library of assets that can be monetized through Museum store products and other licensing channels.
- Website: Interfaces with Marketing, Communications, Digital + IT, Exhibits + Programs, Education, Research & Collections, Advancement including Membership and Sponsorship, and Guest Relations teams to design website pages and online presence for the Natural History Museum, La Brea Tar Pits and Museum, and the William S. Hart Museum. Provides creative direction and design for the websites and social media.
- Digital Design: Collaborates across the museum, and with the Digital Team, to design and produce digital content aimed at engaging visitors, expand access to our world-class collection, generate participation and revenue, and connect NHM with a broader audience in L.A. and beyond.
This position has the following requirements:
- Experience: Requires 5-7 years of experience in a managing role for cross-functional groups (Brand creative for design, photography and video in collaboration with digital and technical teams). Demonstrated accomplishment in complex creative and brand management for a university or museum is preferred.
- Management: 5-7 years leading creative teams working across one or more departments to manage their successful accomplishment of ongoing functions as well as their roles in accomplishing the organization’s strategic plan.
- Planning: 5-7 years Experience in strategic planning, assists in translating organizational vision to divisional goals. Develops department goals necessary to accomplish divisional goals. Is capable of monitoring implementation of goals at this level, making necessary adjustments and informing higher levels of management regarding significant changes.
- Negotiation: Successfully led bidding process for complex projects, drafting contract terms and monitoring/ensuring performance of contractors.
- Analysis: Assesses complex situations – making decisions and/or recommendations for the organization.
- Finance: Experience with contributing to development of program fiscal budget, forecasting and monitoring implementation to meet targets.
The NHMLAC is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museums and in sciences.
The NHMLAC is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment to working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience ($130,000 - $140,000 /yr) plus excellent benefits. This is a full-time regular, exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhmlac.org/careers-our-museums and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application by 4/25/2022.
The NHMLAC is establishing a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for staff, effective August 10, 2021. NHMLAC is requiring that all staff receive the vaccine for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Exemptions for documented medical reasons or a sincerely held religious belief may be requested.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.