The Unusual Suspects Theatre Company
Los Angeles, CA
The mission of The Unusual Suspects Theatre Company is to mentor, educate, and enrich underserved youth through the creation of collaborative, original theatre. Our vision is a world where all youth are given the opportunities and support they need to succeed.
The Operations Manager provides administrative, financial, staffing, and logistical leadership to The Unusual Suspects. This position must be independent, focused, and self-directed, while also very detail-oriented. The Operations Manager must be a problem solver and be able to work with all staff, contractors, and partners within their role. The position works independently to manage office administrative tasks and supports the work of the Executive Director, Program Director, and Development Director. Position reports to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
FINANCE AND BILLING (60%)
- Manage and maintain major funding contracts while invoicing and reporting to agencies on a monthly basis, supporting the reporting efforts of the development department.
- Manage all payroll processes including timesheet creation, distribution, tracking, data entry into master payroll spreadsheet and Quickbooks, input into online payroll system (Gusto), adherence to payroll deadlines, and oversight of payroll expenditures including payroll fees and employer taxes.
- Perform all accounting for the organization including inputting income and expenses into Quickbooks.
- Monitor income and expenses on an ongoing basis using board approved organizational budget.
- Prepare monthly finance reports for Board Finance Committee (balance sheet, P&L, AP aging etc.) and act as liaison between organization and finance consultant.
- Work with finance consultant and/or ED to complete annual financial audits, tax returns, insurance renewals, and contract compliance inspections from both private and governmental entities.
HR MANAGEMENT (20%)
- Maintain accurate Human Resources records for organization in all departments, including employee recruitment, interview scheduling, employee and volunteer clearances, offer letters, onboarding paperwork, new hire orientations, and the scheduling and implementation employee performance reviews.
- Ensure all HR policies, procedures and training programs are consistently administered, aligned with organizational goals and are in compliance with professional and federal regulatory standards.
- Update and maintain current job descriptions for all positions, as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as contact person for issues or complaints from any staff, volunteers, interns, or contractors.
- Coordinate and implement weekly staff meetings, staff development trainings, and employee appreciation events and excursions. Record notes at weekly staff meetings and other trainings as needed.
OFFICE MANAGEMENT (20%)
- Liaise with building landlord and supervisor to address any issues surrounding the building, as well as facilitate communication of lease negotiations.
- Manage all office equipment and technology. Schedule maintenance and repairs when needed, troubleshoot basic technical issues with computers, phones, and internet. Liaise with IT consultant and other vendors.
- Oversee incoming/outgoing mail, and manage inventory of postage, building keys, and other office supplies.
- Develop and maintain all internal procedures, policies, and structures required to create an efficient and effective working environment.
- Correspond with vendors, volunteers and contractors, assisting Directors as needed.
- Manages user accounts and permissions for all organizational databases.
- Assist with placing catering orders for staff trainings, board meetings, and employee events.
- Oversee inventory and purchasing of office, kitchen, and program supplies.
- Maintain cleanliness of building and office spaces by breaking down recycling boxes, removing trash, and stocking bathroom supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
- Must have a Bachelor degree (BA, BS) in finance, accounting, business administration, or related field.
- At least 3 years of working experience in a similar role.
- Work well with people in various communities, institutional and governmental organizations.
- Cultural competency to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Working proficiency in QuickBooks and other relevant office/finance software.
- Ability to develop relationships with outside vendors, contractors and operational resources.
- Work in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Experience in meeting facilitation and/or community relations.
- Ability to work independently, be flexible and resourceful, and manage multiple priorities.
- Work well in a team-oriented environment and maintain harmonious relationships.
- Some knowledge of the Los Angeles City/County/State political and policy process.
- Proficient computer skills, especially using Microsoft Suite and Google Suite of applications.
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, and writing skills.
- Experience with public speaking and presentations.
- Experience with Apricot and/or Little Green Light databases a plus.
- Must have reliable transportation, be able to drive a car, and have appropriate auto insurance coverage, and a valid California Driver’s license.
- English/Spanish bilingual a plus.
The candidate has a commitment to developing leaders and coalition-building. Strong commitment to social change through community empowerment and the arts. Personal values align with the vision and values of The Unusual Suspects organization.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
Must be able to drive a motor vehicle. Must be able to lift 30 pounds. Must be flexible working in a fast-paced, non-profit environment. Experience or interest in theatre and youth arts education is a plus. This position works both in the US administrative office and on occasion at program sites. Must be willing to use personal equipment such as cell phone and laptop/tablet when working remotely.
Salary & Schedule
- $45k-$50k. Commensurate with experience. Health benefits available.
- Position is expected to work at least 40 hours weekly. Candidate must be open to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Include in the subject line of your email the title of the position in which you are applying. No calls please.