American Youth Symphony
The American Youth Symphony’s mission is to inspire the future of classical music by providing landmark fellowships to virtuosic young adults and innovative, accessible concerts to the Los Angeles community. Competitively selected, our orchestra is comprised of 100 musicians who represent extraordinary talent from all over the world. By offering our community remarkable concerts at world-class venues, we remain committed to creating access and opportunity for everyone to experience the inspiration of orchestral music.
The American Youth Symphony was founded in 1964 by world-renowned conductor Mehli Mehta, to ensure the future of classical music in the Los Angeles area by expanding the pool of young, talented musicians. Built on a foundation of social justice, AYS was one of the first organizations of its kind to provide training and performance opportunities to women and young people of color. 57 years later, led by Music Director Carlos Izcaray, AYS is still working to level the playing field for young musicians. Musicians receive in-depth exposure to varied styles of symphonic music, from classical masterworks to world premieres and innovative film scores.
Learn more at www.AYSymphony.org
AYS currently seeks a highly organized individual for the Operations Specialist position.
Purpose: This role focuses on organization and technology for AYS. Duties include basic bookkeeping, IT maintenance, office management, as well as production and program logistics.
Hours and Compensation: The regular schedule for this position is 20 hours a week, with a majority of hours within M-F 9am-5pm. A consistent weekly schedule is required. Work hours will also include some concerts on weekends and evenings; please review upcoming concerts dates for reference. A few weeks per year will require up to 30-40 hours, leading up to or during major events, like the Spring Gala. Work can be done on a hybrid remote/office model, with in-office work at least once per week and occasional on-location work for events. The AYS office is in El Segundo, CA and concerts take place across LA, including UCLA’s Royce Hall, Walt Disney Concert Hall, and a variety of community venues for chamber performances. Some local travel is required. Pay rate is commensurate with experience, ranging $18-24/hour. Benefits for this part-time position include pro-rated paid holidays, professional development support, and sick leave.
Reports to: Executive Director. Works closely with 3 other full-time AYS staff members and communicates regularly with AYS’ CPA to ensure bookkeeping accuracy. This person also communicates over phone and email with a wide variety of contractors, vendors, musicians, ticket buyers, and donors.
- General bookkeeping and data input via QuickBooks Online (QB).
- Managing regular bill payments; making payments via check, PayPal, Venmo, etc.
- Recording and tracking various types of revenue, including invoicing and multi-year grant/donation pledges.
- Requesting, tracking, storing, and distributing W9’s and 1099’s.
- Assist Executive Director in preparing financial reports for audits, IRS filings, Data Arts, grant applications and reports, and reports for the Board of Directors.
- Work with AYS staff to help process ticket orders in PatronManager.
- Work with Director of Orchestra Operations to help schedule rehearsal and performance spaces, production meetings, and communications to artists.
- Attend concerts and events to help with event production including prep, execution, and strike.
- IT management, including maintenance of equipment (printers, computers, phone system, A/V tech) as well as online platforms (GSuite, Box, YouTube, SoundCloud, software licenses).
- Assist AYS staff in updating WordPress website and managing plug-ins.
- Track storage of music and video files; assist audio/video contractors with file transfer online and via hard drives
- Answer phones, check voicemail, and direct messages to staff.
- Maintain inventory and organization of two small storage spaces.
- Work with Executive Director to ensure compliance and appropriate documentation for HR and insurance requirements.
- Identify ways to improve and streamline organizational processes and implement approved ideas.
- Convert historic documents and recordings to digital format for archive.
- Other tasks as requested by the Executive Director.
Strong candidates will have most or all of these qualifications:
- Minimum one year experience with non-profit bookkeeping in QuickBooks; strong preference for candidates with more than 2 years’ experience and those familiar with bookkeeping for a performing arts organization.
- Experience working in a small team, with a positive attitude toward collaborative efforts and all-hands-on-deck events.
- High level of proficiency with spreadsheets and organizing data/information: both in paper files and in a cloud server.
- Experience using at least one ticketing and donor database, preferably Salesforce / PatronManager.
- Experience with website maintenance, preferably Wordpress.
- Proficient with Mac computers and general IT troubleshooting.
- Great verbal communication skills: on the phone, in person, and in writing; preference for some previous customer service experience.
- Keen attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Self-starting initiative to work independently and see projects through from beginning to end.
- Ability to establish priorities amongst concurrent projects and meet deadlines.
- Preferred: proficiency with video and audio editing preferred, such as Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Prior experience as a performing musician is not required, but a deep appreciation for the performing arts and arts education is a must.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items: Resume & Cover letter, describing relevant experience and interest in this position. Please submit your application electronically with the email subject line reading: AYS Operations Specialist. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please send all submissions to: [email protected] by September 6.