American Youth Symphony
Los Angeles, CA
The American Youth Symphony (AYS), currently in its 54th season, is a Los Angeles-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to sharing exceptional, innovative concerts and a landmark training program for exceptionally talented young musicians. Founded in 1964 by Mehli Mehta, the AYS orchestra provides paid fellowships to approximately 100 musicians who are selected through a highly competitive audition process. To-date, AYS has prepared over 2,500 musicians for successful careers in music with many of our alumni having joined the finest orchestras and recording studios in the nation. Most concerts are offered at no charge to the community, out of a longstanding commitment to eliminating barriers to experiencing the expression, creativity, and beauty of live orchestral music. In collaboration with world-class artists like Yefim Bronfman, Sarah Chang, Midori, Johannes Moser, John Williams, and Danny Elfman, AYS performs an annual series of concerts at UCLA’s Royce Hall, Walt Disney Concert Hall, and other remarkable venues. AYS also conducts community programs designed to make orchestral music accessible outside the concert hall. For more information, please visit www.aysymphony.org.
AYS currently seeks a highly organized individual for the Operations Specialist position.
Purpose: This role focuses on organization and efficiency for the organization. Duties include basic bookkeeping, scheduling, and program administration.
Hours and Compensation: Hours are typically 20 hours a week within business hours, M-F 9am-5pm. A consistent weekly schedule is required. Work times will include some concerts on weekends and evenings; please review the current season for reference. A few weeks per year will require up to 30-40 hours, leading up to or during major events. Work is based at the AYS office on Wilshire, with some local travel required. Pay rate is commensurate with experience, generally $20-24/hour. Benefits for part-time employees include partial paid holidays, comp time, and sick leave.
Reports to: Executive Director. Also works with Director of Community Engagement, Director of Orchestra Operations, all staff members, and communicates with CPA to ensure bookkeeping accuracy. Will also communicate over phone and email with wide variety of contractors, vendors, musicians, ticket buyers, donors, and building management.
- General bookkeeping and data input via QuickBooks Online, and processing bank deposits
- Recording and tracking various types of revenue and invoicing
- Setting up new vendors, requesting W9s, sending out 1099s
- Assist Executive Director in preparing financial reports for the Board of Directors, IRS filings, audit, Data Arts, grant applications and reports
- Work with Director of Community Engagement to help process ticket orders and other general concert preparation
- Work with Director of Community Engagement and Lead Instructor to organize and administer the Share-A-Stand education program
- Work with Director of Orchestra Operations to help schedule rehearsal and performance spaces, production meetings, and communications to artists
- Attend concerts and events to help with event prep, execution, and strike
- IT management, including maintenance of office equipment
- Make occasional updates to website content, as directed
- Answer phone, check and update voicemail
- Maintain inventory and organization of two small storage spaces
- Work with Executive Director to ensure HR compliance and documentation
- Identify ways to improve and streamline organizational processes and implement approved ideas
- Any other tasks as deemed necessary by the Executive Director
- Minimum one year experience with non-profit bookkeeping in QuickBooks Online, preferably with an arts organization.
- Familiarity with at least one ticketing and donor database, preferably Salesforce / PatronManager.
- High level of proficiency with spreadsheets, office management, and organizing information- both in paper files and in a cloud server.
- Great verbal communication skills, over the phone and in person.
- Keen attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Self-starting initiative to see projects through from beginning to end.
- Ability to establish priorities amongst concurrent projects and meet deadlines.
- Proficient with Mac computers and general IT troubleshooting.
- Experience in production of performing arts concerts is a plus.
- HTML and/or CSS experience a plus.
- Adobe Premiere Pro (video) and Adobe Audition (audio) experience a plus.
- Prior experience as a musician is not required.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items:
- Cover letter, describing relevant experience and interest in this position
Please submit your application electronically with the email subject line reading: AYS Operations Specialist
Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please send all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org