Carpenter Performing Arts Center
Long Beach, CA
Outreach Assistants conduct outreach activities for the Carpenter Center’s Arts for Life program, including the arts education program Classroom Connections. Classroom Connections is a three-part program partnering the Carpenter Center’s touring artists with local students, primarily from the Long Beach Unified School District. Pre-performance Introductory Workshops in the classroom illustrate the process of creating art (inspiration, conception, rehearsal, discussion) as well as the product itself (performance). Students meet the artist during the Artist Workshop to observe or participate in specific parts of the process. The program culminates with a special daytime Performance by the artist at the Carpenter Center. Approximately 1,000 students are served during each program.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Help to create lesson plans and study guides for each program
- Conduct 45-minute Introductory Workshops prior to Artist Workshops, introduce the artistic genre and theatre etiquette to students grades 1-5
- Accompany artists to each school to help facilitate Artist Workshops
- Attend and help facilitate the daytime Performance at the Carpenter Center
- Background check required
- Must have own, reliable transportation
- Ability to speak knowledgeably about the performing arts and be engaging to children ages 6-11
- Previous teaching experience OR previous experience in the performing arts preferred
$16/hour, non-exempt, approximately 25 hours per program. One program in the Fall 2019 semester, two programs in the Spring 2020 semester.
Visit www.carpenterarts.com/Employment.html for more info.