Palo Alto, CA
Pace Gallery is seeking a Part-Time Assistant Registrar for our Palo Alto, California location, to provide registrar support in all activities relating to incoming and outgoing artworks, exhibition planning, condition reports, insurance, database management and research projects.
Our ideal candidate will be a professional, positive self-starter with excellent communication skills and exceptional attention to detail. They must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and have a flexible and cooperative attitude. Previous registrar/art handling and/or commercial art gallery experience is required.
- Provide registrarial support to California team and liaise with New York Registrars office to catalogue artworks in our database, process accession forms, conduct condition reports, prepare for exhibitions and art fairs, draft, maintain and follow up on incoming and outgoing agreements, update artist information sheets and assist with special projects and reports.
- Provide coverage while full-time staff is out.
- Assist in tracking, maintaining, and updating artwork inventories at storage facility and gallery.
- Assist with coding, approving and submitting invoices to Accounts Payable relating to shipping, art handling, packing and crating, etc.
- Periodically travel to storage facility to conduct condition reports, assess packing of artworks, etc.
- Obtain and vet necessary information about incoming artworks as required from relevant staff, artists/artist studios, institutions, and clients and confirm accuracy of all collected information. Work with New York Registrars to improve standardization of cataloguing medium, dims, titles, inscriptions, etc.
- Prepare incoming in-house condition reports and draft client-friendly condition reports and installation instructions upon request.
- Prepare lists of artworks, checklists and dealer books for exhibitions and art fairs, updating inventory database as needed.
- Provide registrarial support for Pace exhibitions when needed. Draft dispersals and exhibition labels and manage condition report binders.
- Work closely with Shipping, dealer’s assistants, artist’s studios and art handlers to coordinate proper packing, storage and shipment of artwork according to Dealer requests and artwork specifications.
- Help Production to physically organize, catalogue and label new equipment and test returning equipment for electronic/tech artworks.
- Maintain meticulous, up-to-date records of crating and packing information and upload Bills of Lading to database.
- Assist with applying and maintaining bar code system/reconciling inventory records.
- Occasional booking and communication with shipping agents, art handlers and other vendors as needed.
- Create and maintain filing system for accessions forms, artist files, alpha files, pink sheets, incoming and outgoing agreements, certificates of authenticity, condition reports, hygrothermograph readings, etc.
- Order supplies and keep office stocked and tidy.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the gallery’s best practices, procedures and protocols.
- Additional job responsibilities as assigned.
- BA Degree Required in Art History, Studio Art or related field.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in an art-related field, preferably at a commercial art gallery, museum or shipping company; registrar, shipping and/or art handling experience is required.
- Familiarity with fine art packing and shipping best practices.
- Knowledge of and experience with safe art handling procedures and installing artwork; must be able to assist with moving/packing/unpacking crates, etc.
- Experience and comfortability with condition reporting artworks of varying media.
- Must possess a professional, positive demeanor and be a self-starter.
- Excellent client service abilities with demonstrated success working with vendors and clients.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment is essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook are required.
- Must have a valid California drivers license and vehicle.
This position is based at our Palo Alto, California, gallery with a Part-Time, 3-days a week, schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected], with ‘PT Assistant Registrar,’ in the subject line.
Pace is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.