The Museum of Contemporary Art
Los Angeles, CA
Gallery Attendants will help to create an accessible and enjoyable experience in the museum galleries that assist visitors with a general understanding of current exhibitions and works of art on view, while also focusing on protecting the art works. After a probationary period and on an as needed basis, Gallery Attendants may train to handle box office functions.
- 1 – 2 years experience dealing with the public in a customer service or hospitality environment. Hospitality-oriented individual with strong people skills is preferred.
- Friendly and outgoing, possessing strong communication skills to interact with diverse visitors. Understanding of how body language can convey a welcoming yet firm presence.
- Familiarity with museums; strong interest in contemporary art.
- Flexible schedule; ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, at both downtown locations – MOCA Grand Avenue in Downtown Los Angeles, and The Geffen Contemporary in Little Tokyo – as assigned.
- Ability to handle fast-paced events as well as remain focused and attentive during quieter times.
- Ability to use good judgment.
- In partnership with security personnel, willingness to act as a “first responder” in emergency situations such as earthquakes, power outages, or incidents requiring medical attention.
- Possession of, or enrollment toward, a Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
- Participate in two full-day introductory trainings on visitor engagement strategies, art protection methods, and emergency procedures.
- Participate in daily briefings and additional scheduled trainings, including curatorial walkthroughs of new exhibitions.
- In partnership with MOCA Security Officers, maintain posts in the museum lobby and galleries during public hours and special events.
- Greet and orient visitors, engage visitors in viewing art and adhering to museum rules and policies.
- Assist MOCA Security in handling fire/life safety protocols, including medical incidents or emergency situations.
- Assist with event check-in, including organizing and communicating with people in line.
- Be knowledgeable about MOCA membership benefits and how to join.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Box Office Requirements
- Work accurately under pressure, with capability of handling several simultaneous duties; excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to practice low-keyed salesmanship in a service situation.
- Possess an aptitude toward basic mathematical calculations and recordkeeping necessary to accurately perform the duties of ticket selling.
- Experience using Patron Edge or other point-of-service software preferred.
Essential Box Office Functions (offered as needed, pending training and passage of probationary period)
- Execute box office policies and procedures as outlined in training sessions, staff meetings, as well as written handbooks and supplements.
- Responsible for selling museum entrance tickets and event tickets to patrons, selling and providing information on museum memberships.
- Set up and reconcile all monies and ticket transactions occurring during work shift; carry out established security deposit of monies in safe; keep appropriate records of all box office transactions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: stand for extended periods; sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.