Los Angeles, CA
Public Matters is seeking a part-time, Program Coordinator. We are looking for someone who
wants to infuse creativity into equity-driven civic engagement projects, while supporting the
growth of the social enterprise. You will be an integral part of our small and dynamic (highly-
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the management and oversight of Public
Matters’ multidisciplinary projects. In this role, you will work directly on projects with a wide-
range of community members, schools, organizations, universities, municipal agencies and
project partners. Your work will take place in the neighborhoods where Public Matters works,
as well as at Public Matters’ headquarters. As the role is rooted in community-based events
and activities, the Program Coordinator will work occasional nights and weekends.
As the Program Coordinator, you will also have the opportunity to work closely with Public
Matters’ Urban Futures Lab Fellows, and support the development of new initiatives and
projects. The Program Coordinator will be supervised by Public Matters’ Creative Director and
As Program Coordinator, You’ll Be Responsible For:
• Bringing your experience, creativity, skills and vision to managing Public Matters’
projects (current projects include Greetings from East L.A., Hidden Hi Fi and Vision Zero
(Note: not all projects run on the same calendar; when some other projects are active,
others can be in hibernation).
• Working closely with the Creative Director and Principal to define project goals,
timelines and deliverables.
• Participating in team meetings, updates, and creative brainstorming sessions.
• Building relationships and coordinating project partnerships, including handling
communications with partners, clients, funders, community members, and other
• Attending and leading meetings with our fantastic partners, clients, funders, community
members, and other stakeholders.
• Coordinating, producing, and participating in community-based, public-facing activities,
events, or installations, among other types of interactions.
• Supervising project budgets and supporting the administration of project-specific
contracts and grants, including project reporting.
• Managing the work of Urban Futures Lab Fellows and volunteers on project tasks.
• Assisting in the creation of project-based content for Public Matters’ social media feeds.
• Collaborating with the Director of Strategic Initiatives and Principal on project
• Participating in conversations to grow Public Matters as a social enterprise and
consultancy, as appropriate.
• Supporting the implementation of Public Matters’ Strategic and Financial Plan, as
What You Bring to the Role:
• You are self-motivated and take initiative.
• You are not afraid of your creativity; you find ways to integrate it into what you do and
you want to use it to upend inequitable systems.
• You like to take an idea and make it happen. You enjoy planning, coordinating and
managing events, sometimes more than one at a time.
• You’re rigorous and detail-oriented. Some might call you an organizational geek.
• You are an experienced communicator. You write well. You speak eloquently, with
passion and conviction. You are comfortable speaking to groups of all shapes and sizes,
and in a variety of settings.
• You think critically and aren’t afraid to share your opinions.
• You love to teach, lead, and work with people of all ages and backgrounds.
• You are able to work effortlessly in group settings and independently.
• You are able to adapt, pivot, and respond to unforeseen circumstances with grace and
• You enjoy exploring and learning new things, across fields of interest and themes.
• Four-year college or equivalent.
• At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
• Bilingual/Fluent in English and Spanish.
• Skilled in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign,
Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere), WordPress, Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, and
Twitter) and platforms such as MailChimp or ConstantContact.
• Arts or cultural background preferred.
Compensation: Part-time, $2500 per month.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, list of three references, writing sample
(max. 500 words), and portfolio (if applicable, not required) to
[email protected] by Friday, August 31, 2018.
About Public Matters
Public Matters is a creative studio for civic engagement. Founded in 2007, it is an award-
winning, Los Angeles-based social enterprise that grows leadership capacity in our most
vulnerable communities of color through collaborative creative acts for public good. Public
Matters brings imagination, cultural competencies and systems-thinking to community-
centered, equity-driven work for social change. Its diverse portfolio includes the design and
implementation of public engagement efforts in healthy food access, tobacco control,
education, arts and equitable development, public humanities, multimodal transportation and
traffic safety. Public Matters strives to create sustainable systems that build the capacity of
residents, organizations, schools and students to determine their destiny. We call this “deep
civic engagement.” We also bring this approach to our short-term consulting work in
education, civic engagement, and program design.
Public Matters’ team consists of artists, educators, media specialists, cultural planners, and
young adult Fellows in Urban Futures Lab. Its multigenerational, multiethnic team–fluent across
different media, sectors, disciplines, cultures, and languages–ably serves as the conduit
between disparate groups.