Los Angeles, CA
Who Are We?
Young Storytellers sparks creative self-discovery through storytelling. Our programs highlight young people as the center of their own narratives, emphasize that their stories matter, and celebrate their unique voices as the ones telling them. Young Storytellers works towards a future where young people experience the impact that their thoughts, feelings, and words can have on the world in which they live.
Young Storytellers works with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In elementary school, students write scripts that are completely their own; in middle school, students write monologues about challenges they face; and in high school, students write Public Service Announcements that address important issues in their self-identified communities. Students in each program work with volunteer mentors, and every student gets to see their work performed by professional actors. Young Storytellers programs are designed around Common Core standards, integrate Social and Emotional Learning activities, and include components of Learning for Justice’s Social Justice Standards.
What Is This Position?
The Partners Strategist is a new role at Young Storytellers. Over the next few years, the Partners Strategist will work to build sustainable, reciprocal, and community-focused partnerships with community organizations, corporations, colleges and universities, and out-of-town organizations. As Young Storytellers looks to expand outside of its homebase in Los Angeles, the Partners Strategist will be laying essential groundwork in the community-building that they do across the city and country as they create replicable partnership models that are designed around Young Storytellers programming. The Partners Strategist will work closely with our Curriculum, Operations, Development, Scale, and Volunteer Teams, and their work will build on Young Storytellers’ commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and antiracism.
Cool, But Let’s Get Specific. What’s Involved In This Job?
- Cultivate deep and sustainable relationships with current YS partners, which include corporate partners, community-based partners, college chapters, and out-of-town programmatic partners;
- Ensure that LA- and volunteer-based programs that are supported by partners are set up for success each semester by coordinating trainings and placements, with the support of YS Volunteer Team members;
- Perform consistent outreach to prospective new partners with the goal of creating equitable relationships that benefit both YS and our communities, and new partners and their communities;
- Build relationships with community colleges, colleges, and universities;
- Create and implement a set of best practices for partner outreach, cultivation, and relationship-building that is consistent across organizational partners;
- Partner with the Curriculum Team to expand programs to distance learning communities across the country and explore scale implementation models;
- Work closely with the Volunteer Team to identify community outreach and partnership priorities that are in line with YS’s DEIB and antiracism goals and representative of YS students;
- Implement YS’s DEIB and antiracism practices in all parts of the partnership creation and cultivation;
- Assist in the creation, execution, and review of partner surveys, and implements changes based on feedback received.
What Are The Skills & Experiences Needed For This Position?
- Experience building strong and lasting communities in diverse settings, both in Los Angeles and across the country;
- Experience working with both community-based and corporate partnerships;
- Community organizing and outreach experience;
- An understanding of the different stakeholder groups that are involved in non-profit partnerships;
- A solid belief and foundation in equity and antiracism initiatives, and confidence in implementing those initiatives with different communities and organizational stakeholders;
- Excellent organization and communication skills;
- A willingness to learn and grow.
What Is My Compensation For This Position?
The Partners Strategist is a full time, salaried position with a salary range of $55,000-$70,000, depending on skills and experience. Total compensation includes a health insurance stipend, retirement savings program, and generous paid time off and holiday breaks.
Ok, I’m In. How Do I Apply?
Anticipated start date is September 2021 and applications will be accepted until the position is full. To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/yspartnersstrategist to fill out an application and upload the following in PDF form by September 17th:
- Resume / CV;
- A brief statement or cover letter that includes why you are interested in working with Young Storytellers; and
- A short response describing a successful partnership that you formed or managed in the past and what made it successful.
Anything Else I Should Know?
Young Storytellers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Belonging is a core value of the Young Storytellers culture, and our daily practices around equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-bias, antidiscrimination, and antiracism are central to that value. Young Storytellers firmly believes that Black Lives Matter. We encourage women and gender diverse people, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, veterans, immigrants, and anyone with a disability to apply for this and all our positions. Young Storytellers has designed our interview, onboarding, and ongoing cultural practices to be a welcoming space for everyone. You can read more about our worldview on our website.
For any questions or accommodations while applying due to a disability, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 323.962.4500.