WHO ARE WE?
Young Storytellers sparks creative self-discovery through storytelling. Our programs highlight young people as the center of their own narratives, emphasize that their stories matter, and celebrate their unique voices as the ones telling them. Young Storytellers works towards a future where young people experience the impact that their thoughts, feelings, and words can have on the world in which they live.
Young Storytellers works with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In elementary school, students write scripts that are completely their own; in middle school, students write stories about challenges that they face; and in high school, students explore how various communities are portrayed in the media and craft stories that they feel represent their self-identified communities. Students in each program work with volunteer mentors, and every student gets to see their work performed by professional actors. Young Storytellers programs are designed around Common Core standards, integrate Social and Emotional Learning activities, and include components of Learning for Justice’s Social Justice Standards.
WHAT IS THIS POSITION?
The People & Operations Specialist is a new member of the Culture and Operations Team. The People & Operations Specialist supports — and plays an integral role in implementing equity in — recruitment, hiring, and onboarding for all new staff members and interns. In addition, this person builds out systems and procedures that expand Young Storytellers’ reach and relationships in the community, ensuring our pool of potential candidates is diverse, inclusive, and representative of the communities Young Storytellers serves. The People & Operations Specialist is also responsible for ensuring that the Young Storytellers office is fully functional and in the best shape possible for our hard-working staff, interns, and volunteers. The People & Operations Specialist has a unique opportunity to integrate the YS values of belonging, exploration, connection, play, antiracism, and equity in all parts of the organization, including the operational side of things that not everyone sees on a daily basis.
COOL, BUT LET'S GET SPECIFIC. WHAT'S INVOLVED IN THIS JOB?
- Manages the posting and recruitment process for all new hires, including staff, interns, and consultants;
- Supports onboarding and offboarding of YS staff members and interns;
- Works closely with the Community & Culture Director to develop and implement equitable team policies, procedures, and practices;
- Supports financial systems, including staff and volunteer reimbursement, reconciliation, and billing;
- Supports the planning and implementation of staff and board activities, retreats, and training opportunities;
- Oversees the YS office, ensuring that it is fully stocked, clean and well taken care of, and supportive of team collaboration and work;
- Supports the implementation of the YS strategic plan;
- Manages and orders inventory of program and office supplies, including workbooks, handbooks, thank-you gifts, apparel, and other supplies;
- Supports the YS Creative Collective by coordinating projects and translations;
- Implements YS’s DEIB and antiracism practices in all parts of organizational operations.
WHAT ARE THE SKILLS & EXPERIENCES NEEDED FOR THIS POSITION?
- Proficient in project management;
- Excellent organization skills;
- Adaptable and effective communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Experience and comfort working with databases and Google Suite;
- A desire for equity and accessibility in all parts of organizational operations and culture.
- Facilitation skills and comfort facilitating in front of diverse groups of people;
- Previous experience managing hiring processes preferred;
- Previous experience managing finances preferred;
- Experience working in non-profit or social services is helpful but not required.
WHAT IS MY COMPENSATION FOR THIS POSITION?
The People & Operations Specialist is a full time, salaried position with a salary range of $50,000-$60,000, depending on experience. Total compensation includes a health insurance stipend, retirement savings program, and generous paid time off and holiday breaks. The Young Storytellers team operates on a hybrid work schedule with two days at our DTLA office and three days remote each week.
WHAT IS YOUR COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY?
In alignment with our organizational values and Worldview, Young Storytellers has a Covid-19 vaccination mandate in place for all staff, interns, Board members, volunteers for in-person programs and events, and office visitors. We define “fully vaccinated” as all required shots plus a booster shot by a FDA-approved vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) or a comparable approved vaccine (i.e. AstraZeneca). Proof of vaccination must be submitted to Young Storytellers before interviewing with the organization. Legitimate health or religious exemptions will be considered, but the health and safety of the whole YS community will be equally considered.
OKAY, I'M IN. HOW DO I APPLY?
Anticipated start date is June 1, 2022 and applications will be accepted until the position is full. To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/yspeopleandopsspecialist2022 to fill out an application and upload the following in PDF form:
- Resume / CV, and
- A brief statement or cover letter that includes why you are interested in working with Young Storytellers and this position in particular.
ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?
Young Storytellers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Belonging is a core value of the Young Storytellers culture, and our daily practices around equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-bias, antidiscrimination, and antiracism are central to that value. Young Storytellers firmly believes that Black Lives Matter. We encourage women and gender diverse people, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, veterans, immigrants, and anyone with a disability to apply for this and all our positions. Young Storytellers has designed our interview, onboarding, and ongoing cultural practices to be a welcoming space for everyone. You can read more about our worldview on our website.
For any questions or accommodations while applying due to a disability, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 323.962.4500.