Cayton's Children Museum
Santa Monica, CA
The Play Guide serves as host to our visitors within the museum space by providing exceptional customer service, implementation of key early childhood education and developmental frameworks, and by ensuring safety policies are maintained in order to foster a fun, playful, stimulating, and inclusive environment for all children and families. Play Guides activate permanent exhibits and inspire learning through our in-museum programs, such as arts and crafts, music, drama, physical movement, storytelling and cooperative games. In addition, Play Guides facilitate private events and community outreach such as birthday parties, field trips, camps, classes, festivals and tours. This part-time position is year-round and includes working weekends, evenings and holidays. Due to the variable nature of programming and attendance, candidates must have flexibility with respect to schedule and assignments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcome all museum guests, orient visitors to the museums space, answer questions, address customer service needs, diplomatically resolve problems, and provide up-to-date information on programs, events and activities.
- Proactively engage guests and initiate conversations to provide active engagement of children and families with our exhibits and programs.
- Implement art making activities and play experiences within the museum and through community outreach.
- Contribute to and support the planning of museum programs and events.
- Prepare materials, supplies and props for programs occurring the museum, online, and throughout the community, including field trips, classes, camps, birthday parties, and community outreach.
- Perform set-up, break down, clean-up and reset procedures prior to, during, and at the conclusion of museum programs and events.
- Initiate daily exhibit start-up and shutdown processes.
- Participate in routine facility checks, monitor exhibits, reset props, remove unsafe objects, support basic maintenance, and report needs to management.
- Maintaining public health standards, such as wearing face masks and maintaining social distancing, as needed.
- Apply feedback from managers to achieve museum exhibit and program goals.
- Collect visitor input and notify management to help improve museum experiences.
- Co-train and mentor fellow museum staff, as assigned. Other duties as needed.
- High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Coursework in early childhood education, child development, liberal arts, art, music, theatre or STEM desirable.
- Experience teaching or working with children 0-10 years of age is desirable.
- Bilingual, a plus.
- Able to respond to challenging situations in a calm and comforting manner.
- A positive attitude that demonstrates initiative, passion, accountability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, but also pragmatically and with careful attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to take initiative, problem-solve, and do what it takes to get the job done.
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to represent the organization and work collaboratively with diverse staff, Board, volunteers, vendors and the public.
- Commitment to the mission, vision and values of the Cayton Children’s Museum.
The person in this position must be able to:
- Move around museum spaces to access cabinets, office equipment, supplies, etc.
- Lift up to 20 lbs.
- Walk, stand, kneel, balance, crouch, crawl, sit, run, speak and listen.
- Make substantial motions of wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
Salary $17.50 per hour. The Play Guide is a part-time position with a typical schedule of business hours (usually between 8:00 am and 5:30 pm), with some evenings and holidays as needed; however, schedule may vary, however schedule may vary.
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
At the Cayton Children’s Museum, we activate the power of play to enrich the lives of children and their families, build stronger and more connected communities, and create a better world. We envision a world where all children, and the adults they grow up to be, experience the transformational and lifelong benefits of abundant, creative, and purposeful play.
The Cayton Children’s Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, political affiliation, marital or family status, age, military service, or other non-merit factor.