Cayton Children’s Museum
Santa Monica, CA
Position: Play Guide, Part Time
Department: Visitor Experience
Reports to: Visitor Experience Floor Managers
At ShareWell, we cultivate brave and generous thinkers. Through arts, immersive play and real-world action, we guide children and youth to recognize injustice and possibility within their communities and beyond, and to take meaningful, collaborative and collective action to create a better future. ShareWell is comprised of two main initiatives: the Cayton Children’s Museum----opening in 2019 in Downtown Santa Monica----and youTHink, an innovative youth development program.
The Cayton Children’s Museum seeks dynamic and inspiring Play Guides to act as floor staff and public programs facilitators during open hours of the museum. On a daily basis, Play Guides facilitate family learning, act as the main customer service representatives on the museum floor, and lead movement, music, cooperative games, storytelling, and hands-on art-making activities for public visitors to the museum. Play Guides serve as hosts within the museum, support basic maintenance of all exhibits and spaces, impart key messages of the Cayton, and help to enforce policies and procedures for all visitors in order to maintain a safe, orderly and welcoming environment. This position is year-round and part-time; the schedule includes weekdays, weekends, evenings and holidays. Due to the variable nature of programming and attendance, candidates must have flexibility with respect to schedule and assignments. The museum is open 7 days a week, 10am – 7pm.
- Work cooperatively to ensure successful museum experiences and encourage active engagement of visitors with museum exhibits and programs
- Maintain proficiency in all museum programs and activities
- Contribute to developing and facilitating new public programs in visual art, movement, theater, health, and STEAM subjects as needed
- Help maintain a friendly and safe environment, proactively address customer service and operational issues, and troubleshoot on the museum floor as needed
- Collect feedback from visitors and report back to Visitor Experience Director
- Participate in routine facility check, restore items in exhibits as needed, support basic maintenance and report any needs to Floor Manager on duty
- Integrate and apply feedback from supervisors to achieve program goals and standards.
- Host and facilitate birthday parties and special events as scheduled
- Co-train and mentor fellow colleagues as assigned
- Act as on-floor representative for sales of memberships, classes, camps and other Cayton programs
- Team player with a professional, positive attitude, and the ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Background in one or more of the following areas encouraged: movement, music, storytelling, visual arts, health, STEAM, ropes/challenge course elements and team building
- Experience teaching or leading participatory experiences for children 0-12 years a plus
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, highly sensory environment
- An interest in play-based learning and the Cayton mission of Playing Our Way To A Better World
- CPR Certification preferred (can be trained on site if not previously certified)
- Fluency in (spoken) Spanish preferred
- Weekday, Weekend and Holiday availability required
Must be at least 18 years or older. Must pass background check.
The person in this position must be able to:
- Move around an office and museum spaces to access cabinets, office machinery, etc. Lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must have the ability to walk, stand, kneel, balance, crouch, crawl, sit, run, talk and hear
- Make substantial movements (motions) of wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
ShareWell is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and equity. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other legally protected characteristics. Everyone is encouraged to apply for available employment to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding communities.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Rosalie Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Play Guide Application”. No phone calls please.