Los Angeles, CA
A well-established artist is seeking a part time Preparator/Associate Registrar and Archivist to join a small and dynamic studio that operates at the highest level of excellence.
The successful candidate must be extremely organized, motivated, and dependable with the ability to handle whatever task is put before them with both efficiency and attention to detail. The candidate must exhibit the comprehension skills necessary to work closely with the artist, respecting the artist’s schedule and supporting the artist’s priorities and vision. Must exhibit a high degree of professionalism, maturity, diplomacy, and composure. Works well under pressure and given deadlines with proven experience in taking initiative, being resourceful, and excising good judgment. Highest ethical standards are expected.
As the Preparator, the candidate’s primary responsibility will be overseeing all logistical and maintenance tasks within the studio while ensuring organizational effectiveness. The candidate will oversee and manage installation of artworks, all packing and installation for exhibitions, oversee and assist with all domestic and international shipping, create condition reports, and liaise with studio staff, vendors and shipping agents.
As the Associate Registrar and Archivist, the candidate will assist the Registrar in managing all collection records, inventory control, and cataloging of new works. They will maintain all digital and physical files, and manage all photography needed. The candidate will be able to maintain proper organization and storage of studio’s artwork inventory and assist Registrar with studio inventory assessment.
- Prior experience working as a preparator and handling a variety of artworks at a contemporary art gallery or museum.
- Ability to accurately install, maintain, and deinstall artworks of a variety of mediums including but not limited to painting, sculpture, works on paper, and photographs.
- Knowledge of basic construction, fabrication materials and tools.
- Knowledge of artist materials and strategic preventative conservation
- Extensive knowledge of safe art handling, packing and storage practices
- A general interest in the modern and contemporary art world
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, MAC is essential
- Eager to grow in a support role and willing to take on increasing responsibility over time.
- Ability to manage multiple projects from start to finish and keep artist informed of progress and deadlines.
- Superbly organized, detail-oriented and able to work both independently and alongside a team
- Cooperative and amiable, prompt and reliable.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Desired Start Date: February 2017
Position: Permanent Part-time, Independent contractor
Compensation: Commensurate with experience