Japanese American Cultural & Community Center (JACCC)
Los Angeles, CA
Job Title: Production Manager
Salary and Benefits: $50k - $55k/year; full benefits package
Hours: Full-time, Exempt
Start Date: As soon as possible
Organization: Located in Little Tokyo, the Japanese American Cultural & Community Center (JACCC) is a hub for Japanese and Japanese American arts and culture and a community gathering place for the diverse voices it inspires – JACCC connects traditional and contemporary; community participants and creative professionals; Southern California and the world beyond. JACCC’s campus includes offices, meeting and gallery spaces, a theater and a plaza. For over 30 years, JACCC has produced and sponsored a wide variety of performances, festivals and events. www.jaccc.org
The Theatre: Holding its gala grand opening in April 1983, with Kabuki from the National Theatre of Japan, the Aratani Theatre has been a cultural pillar in Little Tokyo for the last three and a half decades. Since then the Aratani Theatre is regularly home to dance and music concerts, film festivals, and live theatrical productions produced by JACCC, our collaborators or by our rental partners.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Aratani Theatre General Manager, the Production Manager’s primary responsibility is to oversee the technical and production life of: the Aratani Theatre and its teams, in addition to JACCC’s performing arts & community engagement programs that occur throughout our 2.2 acre campus; these programs support JACCC’s mission and artistic vision of the Aratani’s multi-disciplinary performing arts activities. The position is responsible for, but not limited to:
- Maintaining production schedules and budgets;
- Producing estimates, invoicing and creating production reports for both internal and client-based projects
- Hiring technical crew and ensuring all production personnel are well-trained, all activities in the production department are handled in a safe and responsible manner, and that the performance spaces are well maintained
- Tracking and accurately accounting for all work by technical and running crews;
- Coordinating rental and in-house production needs (including HVAC & security scheduling)
- Overseeing the maintenance & upgrades of the theatre’s equipment & facilities.
- Acting as stage manager when necessary
- Ordering rental of equipment & supplies for productions with approvals from producers.
Traits and Characteristics: JACCC seeks the following:
- A committed, proactive, and personable individual who shares in JACCC’s interest in artistic and technical excellence grounded in a cultural and a community-centered, value-added approach.
- Technical production knowledge (lighting, sound, video, rigging, and staging), detail-oriented and highly motivated
- Strong prioritizing and multi-tasking skills to work within tight deadlines
- Able to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, project-driven environment
- Able to work weekends in accordance to in-house and rental-client production schedules.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum 5-years of experience working in technical theatre, arts administration and a knowledge of the Los Angeles theatre and performing arts communities at professional and educational levels.
- Excellent communication, project management and computer skills (Excel and Word) are required. Google docs/Google drive and Vectorworks knowledge a plus and highly encouraged.
- College degree in technical theatre helpful though not required.
- Competencies with Japanese, Japanese American, Asian American, Pacific Islander and diverse communities and cultures are strongly suggested.
- Applicants must be capable of working in a collaborative team environment and working independently; able to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Able to ascend/descend stairs on a daily basis to reach offices located on second floor of the Aratani Theatre. Position may require moving Audio/Visual equipment weighing up to 50 pounds across campus for event needs or 30 pounds above head.
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive, as a mid-sized non-profit 501c3 organization, and based on experience with a comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Japanese American Cultural & Community Center to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.