Los Angeles, CA
Hailed as the “Best Free Outdoor Summer Concert Series” by Los Angeles Magazine and called “a grand gift to the public... democracy in musical action” by the Los Angeles Times, Grand Performances presents high-quality music, dance, theater, and more at the breathtaking California Plaza in the heart of Downtown. In 2019, Grand Performances launched GP Amplified which expands its thoughtful programming to different communities in Los Angeles County. For more than 30 years, Grand Performances has delivered the best of global culture to inspire community among the diverse peoples of Los Angeles, and reflect the many cultural interests across the region.
Grand Performances’ mission is to inspire community, celebrate diversity, and unite Los Angeles through free access to global performing arts.
Grand Performances’ Production Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, and supervising all aspects of production and facilities for the organization, guaranteeing an efficient and effortless experience for both performers and audience. The Production Manager maintains and instills the high standard of GP productions and promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
The Production Manager also serves as a Plaza Commons, Inc. staff member providing maintenance support.
This is a year-round position and serves as an integral member of the senior management team. Exempt status
Duties and responsibilities (include, but are not limited to the following):
Grand Performances (GP)
- Manages the Production Department with the highest priority being on safety for the audience, artists, crew, staff and others who are involved in GP activities
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the department including budgeting, planning and staff development
- With Executive Director, plans for long-term Production Department goals, objectives, and implementation
- Ascertains that GP is always in compliance with any and all government and Cal Plaza laws, regulations and policies related to GP work
- Oversees all aspects of financial management of the Production Department
- Develops policies and procedures for the efficient management of the department
- Communicates with artists and/or their representatives in order to advance performances, including but not limited to, fulfilling technical riders and stage plots
- With support of Human Resources, hires appropriately trained crew adequate to the needs of the activities with consideration for budget limitations
- Manages training and scheduling of Production Department employees
- Oversees the submission of accurate payroll records as required for timely payment of all employees
- Assures that Grand Performances is properly handling, documenting, and reporting crew injuries
- Oversees front of house activities
- Confirms that appropriate production equipment is available for all activities
- Secures and manages permits, closures, and Fire marshal requirements
- Supervises long-term equipment and inventory planning and purchases
Plaza Commons, Inc. (PCI)
In coordination with the General Manager:
- Prioritizes the protection and maintenance of the common areas at Cal Plaza, especially with regard to PCI and its owners and managers, stakeholders and users, and any other parties with whom PCI does business
- Coordinates all aspects, as needed, of the use of the Plaza by non-Grand Performances users on behalf of PCI
- Laisses with appropriate contacts about venue issues including, but not limited to, landscaping, vermin control, facilities repairs, common area usage and exceptional activities that require special interaction with Plaza management
- College degree or equivalent experience is preferred
- 4+ years of experience in production management, including non-traditional venues
- Demonstrated experience in theatrical lighting, sound, and video
- Excellent organizational, planning, scheduling and analytical skills. Adept at problem solving.
- Ability to develop and manage budgets and navigate spreadsheets
- Skill in organizing self and others; ability to self-start in discharging responsibilities. Must be self-motivated.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, artists, vendors, community groups, and the public; well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Experience in Microsoft Office; proficiency with Mac computers a plus
- Ability to perform manual labor while working with technical equipment and front-of house needs
- Ability to work a wide variety of shifts including afternoons, evenings, weekends and holidays and substitute when needed
- Frequently communicates with artists, vendors and staff in person, on the telephone, and on the computer to provide assistance.
- Frequently stands and walks
- Frequently stoops, kneels, bends and reaches, pulls and pushes
- Periodically lifts objects weighing up to thirty (30) pounds when moving equipment and supplies
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Production Manager” in the subject line. Only applicants whose resumes are selected for an interview will be contacted. Grand Performances is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff.