Musical Theatre West
Musical Theatre West is an arts leader in one of the most culturally rich and diverse areas in the United States. Our community has launched us into a leading professional, award-winning regional theatre with national recognition. For 70 years we have been a champion of introducing broader audiences to Broadway caliber musical theatre in Southern California. Our mission is to enrich the community with Broadway-quality productions, preserve musical theatre as a unique American art form and expose people of all backgrounds to the excitement of musical theatre.
MTW is looking for a dedicated Production Manager who will ensure the smooth logistical operations of productions, reading series and concerts, as well as special events and fundraisers held by Musical Theatre West. The PM supports the artistic and technical production staff in maintaining the integrity of all MTW productions; and acts as the primary liaison between the artistic and administrative sides of the company.
Primary Areas of Responsibility Include:
• Must be familiar with AEA contracts, particularly the version MTW operates under, and the rules and regulations as well as rules and conditions of the various venues the company uses for productions
• Works with the directorial, design and technical staff, to determine the personnel needs for stage crew, props and costume crew, and coordinate the hiring and scheduling of said crews, while keeping within approved budget parameters;
• Creates a master production calendar for the season and for each show, including rehearsals, production meetings, technical rehearsals, and performances;
• Handles the creation, distribution, collection and approval of employment agreements, payroll paperwork and timesheets for all crews, submitting said paperwork to payroll with appropriate G/L Codes, all within established time requirement.
• Distributes payroll checks to stage crew;
• Assists the Company Manager with coordinating auditions, and ensuring facilities are ready for auditions
• Maintains the scenic properties owned by MTW, and manages the contract rentals of such property, including load-out crews and all aspects of the rental and return.
• Maintains MTW company vehicles assuring they are in good repair and ready for each use.
• Manages and maintains all storage areas, both within the MTW space and offsite when applicable
• Arranges all logistics for transportation, pickup and delivery of sets, costumes and properties to be used in the productions;
• Remains the point person between facility theater personnel and MTW personnel during technical rehearsals and performances;
• Coordinating daily calls and preparing a tech schedule well in advance of load-in
• Compiles and maintains a production archive book for each show.
Benchmarks for Success:
• Musical Theatre West is recognized as not only a great place to see a show, but a great place to work backstage on a show.
• Crew and staff conflicts are minimal, and if they occur, are resolved efficiently and professionally.
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
• College degree in Theatre, Technical Theatre or related field, or a minimum of 4 years of experience in
production management with theatrical productions and/or theatrical management or Stage
Management, including experience administering budgets and supervising staff.
• Experience in a theatre or nonprofit arts organization a plus.
• This is a full-time position and hours may vary from week to week. Evening and weekend hours are
expected and schedule flexibility is required. This is a general contract and applicant would be expected
to remain in the position for at least a year.
• It is understood that other duties may be assigned as required for the smooth operation of the company.
MTW has a small staff, this is definitely a hands-on job, as such administrative and managerial tasks
that are required.
• Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’ license.
• A willingness to embrace and further MTW’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
• Experience working with the public and representing organizations, nonprofit or for profit
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong presentation skills and work well in a fast
paced, multitasking environment. Should be a self -starter who can organize their time efficiently and
willing to be very hands-on
• Proficient interpersonal skills and the ability to manage a staff as well as work as part of a team
• Strong project management and time management skills including the ability to work on several projects
at the same time with similar deadlines
• The ability to maintain diplomacy, and professionalism, discretion and/or confidentiality when handling
• Able to model positive communications and behavior with staff, crew, creatives and board members
from diverse backgrounds
• Comfort with creating, maintaining and navigating databases with a close attention to detail
• Knowledge of musical theatre
Special Environmental Factors
Fast paced, open office environment, frequent interruptions, background noise.
Salaried: $62,400 - $65,000 annually
Full Time schedule 40+ hour work week (including some evenings and weekends)
Please email a cover a letter and resumes to: [email protected] by 2/28/2022.
Musical Theatre West pursues potential staff candidates who represent various race, ethnicity,
socioeconomic backgrounds, gender identity, age, physical ability, LGBTQIA+, and diverse
viewpoints, who also have an interest, background, and skillset in musical theatre. We will
recognize the importance of equity for job candidates in terms of training and experience.