P.S. ARTS Office
Los Angeles, CA
Reports to: Associate Director, Classroom Studio and Deputy Director
Location: P.S. ARTS Office, Los Angeles
Schedule: Office Hours 9am - 5pm, but must be able to work some nights and weekends.
Designation: Full-time, Non-exempt
Salary Range: Starting at $18/hour with performance-based increases up to $20.50/hour, budget-dependent.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability, 401k (unmatched) and FSA eligible.
P.S. ARTS is dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing arts education to underserved public schools and communities. P.S. ARTS serves children through four main programs; Classroom Studio (in-school), Extended Learning (elective and afterschool), Community Programs (Family ArtNights and community festivals), and Educator Training (teacher professional development). In collaborative partnership with Central and Southern California communities, P.S. ARTS contributes to the creation of more civically-engaged students and families, vibrant schools and arts-rich communities.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director, Classroom Studio, the Program Assistant, Classroom Studio (‘Assistant’) will provide administrative and logistical support for the department’s activities in an effort to furthering P.S. ARTS’ mission and achieving program goals. The support provided by the Assistant, to both the department and in-school faculty, allows for P.S. ARTS’ Classroom Studio programs to run efficiently and effectively.
In addition to providing administrative support for in-school programs, with the support of the Assistant, P.S. ARTS hopes to grow and increase oversight of our existing volunteer opportunities. The Assistant, under the supervision of the Deputy Director and in collaboration with the Program Coordinator, Community, will recruit, diversify and retain P.S. ARTS’ volunteer corps.
As will all P.S. ARTS employees, the Assistant takes part in a comprehensive performance management program which includes weekly department meetings along with one-on-one meetings with the Associate Director, Classroom Studio and/or the Deputy Director to track progress on goals, a mid-year check-in and an end-of-the-year performance review. The Assistant is also expected to model P.S. ARTS’ values of Art, Community, Equity, Innovation, Excellence and life-long Learning.
Qualifications and Training:
- A Bachelor’s degree (significant work experience as a substitute for a degree will be considered)
- Strong administrative skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Work with a fluctuating and dynamic schedule
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A polished and professional demeanor to interact graciously and effectively with P.S. ARTS’ constituents, stakeholders and community partners
- Previous experience with volunteer recruitment and management
- Bilingual in Spanish/English, strongly preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Volgistics, and Atlas
- Good at Prioritizing
- Takes initiative
- Provide administrative support for the Programs, Classroom Studio department, including, but not limited to: maintenance of department calendar, coordination of meetings, processing paperwork, data entry, ordering of supplies and tracking supply budgets;
- Provide logistical support for program activities, including, but not limited to Faculty Training Series professional development program;
- Capture and edit program footage for grants and other P.S. ARTS media-related purposes;
- Archive images of student work, grant documentation, surveys and program video;
- Assist in the coordination of correspondence with Teaching Artists, schools and staff;
- Track Teaching Artist curriculum and documentation;
- Design and develop P.S. ARTS’ monthly Teaching Artist newsletter;
- Work with the Associate Director, Communications to generate internal and external program communications, including printed collateral and social media;
- Translate program-related documents and collateral, if qualified;
- Carry out other administrative tasks and support the Programs department as needed.
Volunteer Program: Daily Tasks
- Directing volunteers at Family Nights, festivals and other community outreach events.
- Working with all departments to create and schedule volunteer opportunities;
- Pre-event volunteer recruitment and training to ensure volunteer presence at every community event;
- Manage communication with active volunteers and applicants;
- Keep online volunteer platforms up-to-date with current volunteer opportunities;
- Run volunteer orientations and interviews;
- Conducting recruitment events/presentations to potential partners and/or volunteer groups.
Volunteer Program: Long-range Projects
- Stay up-to-date on best practices of volunteer management;
- Research and development of potential volunteer partners, special emphasis on recruiting senior volunteers;
- Conduct an on-going needs assessment of in-school volunteer opportunities;
- Maintain and develop new volunteer recognition programs and events;
- Work to further integrate the Volunteer Program with all aspects of the organization.
This position involves recruiting, evaluating and supervising of volunteers under the guidance of the Deputy Director.
Please note this description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change in response to organization need at the discretion of the CEO.
- Perform work while seated at a desk for several hours
- Travel and attend meetings and events outside the office, which may require occasional use of a motor vehicle for transportation to other locations. Due to responsibilities requiring travel to locations not easily accessible by public transportation, driving is an essential job responsibility for this position. Valid driver’s license required. Mileage reimbursement is provided.
- Occasionally lift up to 40lbs.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line "Arts for LA Program Assistant"
PLEASE NO HARD COPIES OR PHONE CALLS.
Priority Application Deadline: December 14, 2018, extended as necessary
Phone and in-person interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
P.S. ARTS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and dedicated to better reflecting the communities we serve. P.S. ARTS is actively taking steps to meet our commitment to diversity and to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.