Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles, CA
Program Associate (Literary Programs and Jewish Culture)
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a programmer with 5+ years of experience to join the Programs department. Public programs at the Skirball support the institution’s mission through the presentation of music, talks, film, performing arts, culinary, and special events for a diverse and multigenerational adult audience. This Program Associate position will have a particular focus on literary programs and Jewish culture. Applicants should be detail-oriented, team-minded, mature, professional, and creative—a flexible team player with excellent communications skills to research, create, and implement public programs. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Programs.
In the development and production of public programs:
- Advance the Skirball mission and audience goals by developing and producing programs across multiple disciplines that focus on the literary arts and Jewish culture.
- Present program ideas and take steps to implement approved activities as directed.
- Support the production of programs that other colleagues in the department have taken a lead on.
- Negotiate fees, maintain and update contracts and data on expenditures, attendance, and income. Prepare financial projections and per event budgets.
- Work with colleagues in Communications and Marketing, Operations, A/V, and other key departments to ensure successful production of programs.
- Gather, compile, and organize program information, artist’s marketing materials, and promotional copy for presentations and publications, including the Skirball’s bimonthly program guide, website, and press releases.
- Coordinate communications between artist and production manager.
- Coordinate travel and accommodations in association with Administrative Assistant.
- Serve as lead facilitator for public programs: welcome speakers and performers and ensure their needs are met; introduce speakers and performers and troubleshoot as needed; supervise volunteer staff at events.
- Prior experience in programming and producing successful cultural programs
- Collaborative work style; demonstrated ability to work successfully in teams
- Self-motivated, able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and multitask
- Prior experience negotiating fees and contract details with talent; high attention to detail
- Superior oral, written, and listening communications skills and the ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultures, ages, and economic backgrounds
- A degree in arts administration, humanities, or literature preferred; minimum of two years of experience in similar programming or production positions required
- Experience and contacts within the Los Angeles arts, culture, and entertainment communities
- Strong familiarity with Jewish culture, traditions, and history
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary literary arts
The Skirball Cultural Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and equity. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, criminal history in accordance with the law, or any other legally protected characteristics. Everyone is encouraged to apply for available employment to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.
Please send or email resume and cover letter to:
Re: Program Associate (Literature and Jewish Culture)
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049