Young Musicians Foundation
Since 1955, The Young Musicians Foundation’s (YMF) mission is to empower under-served, frequently marginalized students to find creativity, connection and joy through music. YMF’s Teaching Artists are at the heart of our organization’s mission by providing tuition-free weekly music instruction to students and community members. Our accessible and responsive approach to vocal, instrumental, music technology, and general music instruction reaches students ages 4 to adult across Los Angeles through partnerships with under-resourced schools and community programs covering a 195-square-mile area in greater Los Angeles.
The Program Coordinator supports the programming needs of a fast-paced and wide-reaching nonprofit arts organization. This person will work closely with the Programs Director and Program Manager to support the implementation and administration of all aspects of YMF’s three programmatic areas, including in-school programs, Community Music Academy programs, and partnership programs. This position is primarily overseen by the Program Manager.
YMF is currently located in northeast Los Angeles, situated between Glassell Park and Cypress Park. We are currently in the process of relocating our headquarters to the Historic South Central district located between Jefferson and Central and will remain there for an indefinite period of time.
The position is non-exempt, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday 9:30am – 5:30pm. Schedule is flexible with advance notice to the Program Manager and Programs Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the Program Manager and Programs Director to help facilitate and deliver the highest quality possible YMF programming.
- Assist with Teaching Artist communication such as scheduling, site-specific communication, calendar updates, requests for materials, etc.
- Assist with Site and Partner communication in support of implementation and administration of YMF programs.
- Serve as the primary organizing contact for specific school/site partners as determined by the Program Manager.
- Assist with the ongoing organization of materials and resources related to programming within Google Drive.
- Support Teaching Artists as needed with specific supply, material, and resource requests.
- Serve as primary host for Zoom and video-based remote lessons as required.
- Assist with the distribution, collection, and maintenance of program materials, supplies, instruments, and inventories.
- Assist in tracking and maintaining program expense and reimbursement records.
- Assist with student and parent communication within the Community Music Academy program.
- Assist in the maintenance of the Community Music Academy student and family contact database.
- Assist with preparation and communication for Parent/Guardian Advisory Committee Meetings, and support with administration of action items resulting from committee meetings.
- Assist in the administration of Community Music Academy scholarship programs.
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of new Teaching Artists; create and maintain job postings.
- Support with program events including student concerts, field trips, professional development days, and other events as directed.
- Assist in the research, development, and implementation of YMF’s Online Music Academy.
- Assist Program Manager with all aspects of payroll management and submission as directed.
- Contact TA’s regarding questions as to hours/days submitted, pay rates submitted, and other queries as directed.
- Run bi-monthly payroll for Teaching Artists.
Assessments and Program Evaluation
- Assist with the creation, reconciliation, and realization of assessments and surveys for programming.
- Assist in the creation of narratives from collected data.
- Assist with the administration of assessments as needed.
YMF Media & Communications
- Occasional editing and maintenance of the YMF website site program pages as required.
- Pitch and generate program-based content for YMF’s website and newsletters.
- An effective communicator with excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) and have ability to excel as part of a team
- Passionate about providing social justice through the arts
- A team player
- A people person, comfortable liaising with Teaching Artists, school teachers and administrators, families, and students
- Punctual and organized
- Knowledgeable of music pedagogy and terminology
- Comfortable using Slack, Trello, and Google Suite
- Able to adapt to using new organizational tools
- Bilingual in Spanish
Physical and Additional Requirements:
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
- Must be able to climb 4 flights of stairs
- Must have reliable transportation
- Bachelor’s degree; post-graduate degree or equivalent experience a plus
- Minimum one-two years of experience in arts, education, and/or nonprofit administration
We highly value a diverse team and an equitable work environment where every member of our team is set up to thrive. We have taken steps to nurture this environment including an Equity, Diversity, Access, and Inclusion Committee that leads work to transform injustice within the organization. We expect all team members to take responsibility for co-creating an equitable work community where everyone is able to do impactful, world-changing work. We review our policies and practices for equity frequently.
We encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications/requirements. Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, parents, are/have been system impacted, have different abilities, are immigrants and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and gender-based violence is encouraged to apply. We also encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications/requirements.”
Salary & Benefits:
Salary range $37,000 – $41,500 depending on experience. Full health, vision, and dental coverage. Two weeks paid vacation plus paid time off between December 24th and January 2nd for winter holidays. Opportunities for paid professional development.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Program Coordinator” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Friday, August 13th, 2021