ARTS FOR LA
Los Angeles, CA
Arts for LA is a voice for the arts in Greater Los Angeles that informs, engages, and mobilizes individuals and organizations to advocate for access to the arts across all communities; arts education for every student; robust investment in the arts; and inclusion of diverse and underrepresented voices. Arts for LA invests in leadership development, growing networks of civically engaged advocates; building deep relationships with elected officials; and working in partnership across sectors to make LA a vibrant, prosperous, creative, and healthy society.
The Program Development Intern, under the supervision of the Director of Programs, will provide administrative and programming support to Arts for LA’s 2017-18 programs which includes:
ACTIVATE is the premiere arts advocacy training and leadership development program that recognizes the importance of local leaders and seeks to empower these individuals with skills, knowledge, and an expanded network to effect change in communities across Greater Los Angeles. ACTIVATE is a nine-month program that has two tracks: Arts Education and Cultural Policy. Both tracks focus on leadership, policy, planning, coaching, implementation, and mobilization of advocacy initiatives in local communities.
LA Convergence is a one-day convening of cross-sector dialogue and collaboration around issues facing Los Angeles County. Designed to challenge assumptions, explore new ideas, and identify potential solutions, the LA Convergence strengthens our ability to chart a path toward a prosperous, engaged, and creative region for all and leverages storytelling as a way to articulate problems as well as to envision solutions.
This position will work closely with program staff to solidify program content and speakers, coordinate event logistics, and craft program messaging for marketing and publicity. Ideal candidates will have a deep interest in the arts, civic engagement and advocacy and will also identify with the Arts for LA mission: activate artists and organizations, and lead communities to advocate for an equitable, healthy, and creative Los Angeles region.
- Assist in developing program content such as themes, session topics and securing speakers for ACTIVATE and LA Convergence
- Secure venues and coordinate event logistics for ACTIVATE and LA Convergence
- Promote ACTIVATE through strategic outreach goals such as an increase in the number applicants and geographic representation of applications
- Assist in developing program messaging for marketing and publicity
- Understand the process of program development and implementation
- Develop skills in program design, assessment, logistics coordination and marketing
- Expand knowledge of the cultural landscape of Los Angeles County, including government and school district structure, nonprofit arts organizations, and field leadership
The Program Development Intern will be paid $12.00/hour on a weekly schedule throughout the 10-week internship.
Interested candidates must adhere to the following eligibility requirements:
- Candidates must be a currently enrolled undergraduate college student who resides or attends college in Los Angeles County.
- Candidates must have completed at least one semester of college by June 1, 2017 or will complete their undergraduate degree between May 1 – September 1, 2017 in order to be eligible to participate.
- Candidates who have already earned a BA, BS or a higher degree are not eligible.
- Candidates who have previously participated in the Los Angeles County Arts Internship Program are not eligible to participate a second time.
- Candidates must have excellent writing, communication and research skills
- Candidates should have experience in working with computer-based programs such as Word and Excel.
- Candidates with bi-lingual/bi-literate experience are highly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume, cover letter and a non-fiction writing sample (ex. brief article, blog or essay) as attachments to the attention of Jennifer Fukutomi-Jones, Director of Programs at [email protected] Please note that form letters and acting/music resumes will not be accepted.
This internship is sponsored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission. 132 undergraduate interns will participate in the program this year at 119 performing, presenting, and literary nonprofit arts organizations and municipal arts agencies throughout LA County. In addition to their full-time 10 week paid internship, interns will participate in educational events as part of the program, which is funded by the Getty Foundation. The educational events are designed to provide interns with a broader perspective of the vibrant arts and cultural landscape of the County. For additional information on the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the Arts Internship Program, and for a complete list of all the internships offered this summer, visit the Arts Commission website at www.lacountyarts.org.