Project X Foundation for Art & Criticism
Project X Foundation reimburses a portion of health care premium costs. Beginning April 2022.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Project X Foundation for Art and Criticism is the 501(C)3 nonprofit corporation that supports the contemporary art publication X-TRA. Since its founding by artists in 1997, X-TRA has been a vibrant platform for critical writing about contemporary artistic practices. The longest-running art journal in Los Angeles, X-TRA consistently pushes beyond the mainstream—discovering and highlighting exemplary writers’ voices in the field, giving voice to emerging and established artists through writing, commissioned artists’ projects and editions, and designing celebrated programs, including artists’ talks, interviews, and performances. X-TRA Online expands this legacy, offering original, immediate, and intimate content that takes the form of artist’s writing, writers reading, conversations, an archive, and special projects. https://www.x-traonline.org
The Administrative Associate oversees the organization’s daily operations and office maintenance, and supports the Executive Director (ED) in areas of fundraising, communications, marketing, and social media. Additional responsibilities include providing administrative support to the Project X Board, maintaining communication with donors, and overseeing the distribution of X-TRA Contemporary Art Journal and online publications.
The Administrative Associate position requires a highly organized, detail-oriented, and flexible administrator who is an excellent writer and communicator across both printed and digital platforms. The ideal candidate will have experience with non-profit administration and an interest in contemporary art and writing. Specific experience with fundraising, database management, event planning, grant calendars, marketing, basic bookkeeping, and communications is necessary. The candidate will support Project X Foundation’s efforts to increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in our work and organization.
The Administrative Associate reports to the Executive Director. Responsibilities include:
ADMINISTRATION AND OPERATIONS
- Day-to-day administrative duties, including maintaining the office, X-TRA calendar, scheduling meetings, updating website, mailings, and other duties as directed by Executive Director (ED).
- Serve as communications liaison between the Foundation Board, Editorial Board, and other staff.
- Execute day-to-day bookkeeping of organization in Quickbooks, in communication with Project X accountant. Support ED in bookkeeping for monthly and quarterly board fiscal reports.
- Provide administrative support for Project X Foundation, including scheduling meetings, tracking progress of committees, drafting correspondence for fundraising, and board development.
- Oversee interns, as needed.
FUNDRAISING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Support ED in fundraising event planning, including end-of-year campaign, annual or bi-annual galas, limited editions, and other special events.
- Create and maintain a new fundraising and grants calendar tailored to our new goals as an organization; assist ED with grant applications and reports.
- Help initiate and communicate research on new fundraising opportunities for Project X.
- Communicate closely with Managing Editor on the content of grant narratives, as they tie into evolving organizational goals.
- Create fundraising mailings as needed in support of ED’s advancement projects.
- Maintain database of individual donors, sponsorships, and partnerships; correspond with donors as directed by Board.
- Develop and maintain accurate data for assessing audience, engagement, and fundraising.
X-TRA SUBSCRIPTION, DISTRIBUTION AND PROMOTION
- Manage X-TRA subscriptions and fulfillment of X-TRA subscriptions, consignment, and store sales.
- Maintain timely distribution, funding, and marketing for X-TRA journal and X-TRA Online.
- Support ED and work with Managing Editor and interns to organize launch events for each issue to increase audiences.
- Support ED and work with Managing Editor and interns to organize other special events at art and book fairs and at partner organizations to expand audiences in the Los Angeles community, and nationally and internationally.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
- Support the ED with all communications and marketing for X-TRA publications and programs.
- Demonstrate exceptional communication and writing skills, and an ability to copy-edit and check all writing and content before posting.
- Work with the ED and Managing Editor to execute social media strategies.
- Practice open communication with Managing Editor on developing and enhancing social media strategy.
- Help to maintain the voice and tone of the organization, and ensure consistent visual branding across all advertising and media.
- Work with ED to steward advertising and institutional partnerships.
Bachelor’s degree required. The ideal candidate will have a minimum 2–3 years’ experience in nonprofit arts and/or cultural organizations. Excellent writing skills, a familiarity with marketing and social media platforms, collaborative skills as a team player, and an eagerness to learn are essential. Familiarity with contemporary art, publishing, and scholarly writing is preferred.
Quickbooks, Quickbooks Online, Word, Excel, Google Drive, Photoshop, WordPress, and great familiarity with social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Google Analytics, Mailchimp). Graphic design capabilities in InDesign and Illustrator a plus.
Mailing and distribution can require lifting boxes of books and journals between 15 and 30 lbs. Position requires the ability to speak and hear for extended periods of time and use a computer and other equipment traditionally found in office settings. Limited local travel may be expected, which requires the use of a motor vehicle and possession of a valid driver’s license or willingness to use a ride-hailing service.
Send a cover letter, resumé, and references to the job search committee at [email protected] by 5/1/2022. We encourage all applicants to familiarize themselves with our programs and website, and to share in your letter how your strengths, interests, and experience align with the organization. The Administrative Associate will have access to an office near Atwater Village, but some duties can be performed remotely. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be contacted for interviews in April 2022. Position will remain open until filled.