The Pasadena Playhouse
Job Title: Public Relations Manager (Salaried, Exempt)
Organization: The Pasadena Playhouse
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications
About the Playhouse: The Pasadena Playhouse is one of the top regional theaters in the country and the State Theater of California. Under the new leadership of Producing Artistic Director Danny Feldman, it presents a full season of artistically innovative productions and engaging educational outreach activities to nearly 150,000 Southern California residents annually in two spaces: the 648-seat main stage theater and the 99-seat flexible Carrie Hamilton Theater. By focusing on the creation of great productions, the expansion of educational and outreach programs, the development of new plays, and the creation of innovative programs to build community, the Playhouse will continue to be a leader in the theater industry.
About the Position: Pasadena Playhouse is looking for an exceptional individual to work closely with the Director of Marketing & Communications to increase audiences, establish a strong brand, and effectively tell the Playhouse story. Through the creation and management of strategic communications plans the Public Relations Manager has the opportunity to develop systems and strategies that will impact the overall success of the individual productions and the organization as a whole.
The Playhouse is seeking someone who is highly motivated, process oriented, and has a passion for press, people and pitching. The ideal candidate must have strong initiative, great problem-solving capability, excellent communication skills, and a can-do attitude. The company is growing and changing, so flexibility in job duties, description and expectations is a must!
Oversee and coordinate all online, print, and broadcast media-related initiatives for the Pasadena Playhouse and other supported organizations. Ensure ongoing visibility on the organizational level in addition to media outreach for individual productions, performances and programs.
- Oversee long-term media strategy for brand exposure
- Create and execute public relations/communications plans for all productions/programs
- Cultivate existing relationships and establish new contacts with relevant media outlets
- Pitch story ideas to media outlets, influencers, and other relevant parties
- Manage opening night attendance of media
- Work closely with the marketing department for content planning and dissemination
- Recruit talent and photographers for opening night red carpet
- Mine data for trends, anomalies and actionable items to proactively identify larger industry stories
- Provide weekly media reports to necessary parties
- Track working hours for each supported organization
- Work evenings and weekends as required by performance schedule and media needs
- Other duties as assigned to support the needs of the department and the supported organizations
Minimum Qualifications and Competencies
Education/Experience: An masterful storyteller with the ability to build content and make the pitch. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Three to five years in Public Relations and project management experience required.
Supplemental Functions: Perform other duties as assigned. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
Working Conditions: No major sources of discomfort, standard office environment; regular exposure to video terminal displays. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and ability. Benefit package include medical, dental, life insurance coverage and PTO. Start date is immediate.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
We work to maintain a positive environment for our employees, where people can learn, grow and thrive with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative, transparent workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
The Pasadena Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.