Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (“NHMLAC”) was the first museum in L.A. to open its doors 107 years ago and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County—including NHM at Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits and museum in mid-Wilshire, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall—is looking forward to new building projects and campaigns, exhibitions, community outreach, and innovative audience engagement.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County values and endeavors to support diversity, equity, inclusion, and access within its organization and communities. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color (BIPOC), neurodiverse, a woman, a person with disability, a veteran, and/or a part of the LGBTQAI+ community are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The NHMLAC is seeking a Puppeteer for our Education, Exhibitions, and Programs department. The Puppeteer works closely with the Manager, Performing Arts to create and present Performing Arts programming inspired by the Museum’s halls, exhibits, and collections at the Natural History Museum. It is an exciting time as we embark on new journeys of becoming a museum of, for, and with L.A.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Acquires knowledge of the Museum and its programs, cultural and scientific concepts by becoming familiar with the Museum’s resources, exhibits, collections, and programs, as well as the Museum’s initiatives and policies in support of inclusion, diversity, equity, and access.
- Performs in Performing Arts programs using/operating some or all of the following: a full-suit puppet, stilts, mask, marionettes, shadow puppets, and other physical theater/puppetry mediums. Perform as an actor outside of the puppet.
- Works under the direction of Manager, Performing Arts to collaborate on the development of new theatrical shows.
- Attends training sessions to learn authentic movement of the relevant animal for which a puppet, mask, or costume will be performed.
- Attends training sessions on Museum research and collections and exhibitions.
This position has the following requirements:
- Must travel via personal vehicle or public transport to off-site meetings.
- May lift up to 80 lbs. while in puppet.
- Operate a computer using various Microsoft Office, Google Workspace and accounting software
- Requires wearing a puppet costume with internal mechanisms for movements and sound amplification. Extended periods of standing and bending within costume, which may include holding physically challenging positions for lengthy periods of time. Costume is created from non-hazardous materials but the operator may not be sensitive to or react to any of the materials used to fabricate the costumes.
- May require stilt walking and light gymnastic activity for some of the Museum characters.
- Puppet T.Rex: 5’11” to 6’3”, Women's shoe size 10-12 or Men's size 10-11. Medium athletic build. Must be able to lift and carry heavyweight, up to 80 pounds, on back in upright standing, bending and crouching positions for limited periods of time. All weight on shoulders and waist. Extremely hot, claustrophobic full suit puppet with limited sight range. Job requires wearing a T.rex costume with internal mechanisms for movement and sound amplification.
- Must be available for weekend work and occasional evening work.
- Regularly working with large groups of public, including children, in an occasionally loud, crowded environment.
The NHMLAC is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museums and in sciences.
The NHMLAC is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment to working with a diverse community. The position pays $20.00 per hour. This is a part-time regular, non-exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhmlac.org/careers-our-museums and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application.
The NHMLAC is establishing a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for staff, effective August 10, 2021. NHMLAC is requiring that all staff receive the vaccine for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Exemptions for documented medical reasons or a sincerely held religious belief may be requested.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.