City of South Gate
South Gate , CA
Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Assists in organizing, conducting and supervising free play and team activities for children and adults on outdoor and indoor play areas; helps officiate and instruct in games such as basketball, softball, baseball, volleyball, and track and field.
Assists other Recreation Leaders with special events and tournaments.
May work in the game room or weight room, assist with classes, and assist and/or work in the day camp program.
Assists with supervision of overall activities of playground or other sites; and observes and monitors activities of participants to ensure that park rules and regulations are followed and that equipment is used in a safe manner.
Cleans recreational facilities including rooms, floors, and restrooms.
Minimum & Desirable Qualifications
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary. Example combinations include:
Some experience and/or participation in team or individual sports, or service as a leader or volunteer in organizations such as scouting, AYSO, Little League or recreation departments.
Must be at least 16 years of age and have completed sophomore year in high school. Possession of American Red Cross C.P.R. and First Aid cards may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of: the programs common to recreation, sports and aquatics programs; first aid techniques; basic custodial procedures.
Ability to: supervise and monitor games and team activities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, participants, instructors and the general public; follow oral instructions; work varied hours.
Other Important Information
An incumbent appointed to this position is subject to enrollment in the California DMV Pull Notice Program. The Pull Notice program provides information on the incumbent's driving record and Driver's License status on a periodic basis to the City of South Gate. An employee assigned a City vehicle must acknowledge receipt and understanding of City Administrative Regulations covering the use of City vehicles.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed mostly in office settings. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, crouch and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus and perform office machine operations. Incumbents are not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet while in the office, and moderately loud when in the field.
Application Packets Must Include: A fully completed online employment application which:
- Covers at least the past 10 years of employment history (or longer if you have other relevant experience).
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
- Must be specific in describing your qualifications for this position. Failure to state all pertinent information may lead to elimination from consideration. Stating "See Resume" is not an acceptable substitute for a completed application.
- Individuals who require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any phase of the application or selection process must advise Human Resources and make such a request during the application process. Every effort will be made to provide a reasonable accommodation where requested.
Selection Process: All application materials received by the application deadline will be reviewed and evaluated. All information supplied by applicants is subject to verification.
- Application Review: The first phase will be a detailed review and appraisal of each candidate's application (individuals who require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any phase of the selection process must make such a request during the application process by notifying the Human Resources Office). This phase is for qualifying purposes only. There is no weight assigned to this phase. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications may be invited to the next phase.
- Written Examination: If a written exam is given, a minimum of 70% must be obtained on the written exam in order to be eligible to continue to the next phase of the selection process which will consist of an oral appraisal interview.
- Oral Appraisal Interview: A minimum of 70% must be obtained to pass the oral appraisal interview.
- The City supports a Drug-Free Workplace.
- All potential employees are required to successfully complete a thorough background investigation, fingerprinting, and pass a post-offer pre-employment medical examination (which will include a drug/alcohol screening).
- New employees must complete a verification form designated by the United States Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services, that certifies eligibility for employment in the United States of America.
Hiring of Relatives: Relatives of existing employees by blood or marriage will not be eligible for employment with the City if potential supervision, safety, security, or morale problems exist; or if potential conflicts of interest exist. Relatives include an employee's parents, children, spouse, brothers, sisters, in-laws, and step relationships.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of South Gate is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws, it does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, religion, disability (mental or physical), medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, or pregnancy), sexual orientation (including homosexuality, bisexuality, or heterosexuality), or military or veteran status in its employment actions, policies, procedures, or practices.
The City of South Gate
The City of South Gate is a busy urban community consisting of residential, commercial, and industrial development, spread over 7.41 square miles. It is currently ranked the 59th largest city in California with a population of approximately 97,000. Strategically located along the 710 freeway, the City is just 12 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles.