Los Angeles, CA
Registrar and Manager of Student Services
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, The Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four different units: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts, the Colburn Music Academy and the Colburn Dance Academy. The Center for Innovation and Community Impact serves all four units with various programmatic initiatives.
The Colburn School's mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
The Registrar and Manager of Student Services oversees the academic functions for both the Conservatory and Music Academy, as well as managing services available to students, including orientation, financial aid, commencement, etc. Principal duties include coordinating the academic class schedule with faculty and Production, registering students, maintaining student records, tracking absence requests, scheduling final exams and juries, managing and coordinating Commencement, and serving as secretary for the Financial Aid Committee. The Registrar is fluent in the use of the School’s SIS (Blackbaud) Registration module. The Registrar may be called upon to provide administrative support to the Dean in all areas, both defined and as may occur. Specific knowledge of music is not required, but is a definite plus. This is a full time position, 12 months per year.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinates the academic class schedule, including room assignments, with Production.
- In consultation with the Deans, creates academic calendar and teaching schedule.
- Ensures accurate registration of Conservatory and Music Academy students, following up with academic advisors as needed, providing reports to the Deans.
- In coordination with the faculty, creates the schedules for placement exams during Orientation, final exams, and juries.
- Maintains accurate student records, for purposes of registration, grading, degree audits, graduation processing, and disciplinary proceedings. Provides related information to faculty and students as appropriate, including printing of official (Conservatory) and unofficial (Academy) transcripts.
- Provides student data for all annual reporting, including NASM and BPPE.
- Provides Deans with institutional data and research regarding all areas of enrollment, maintaining accurate historical data in order to provide recommendations and modeling for new academic and curricular initiatives.
- Is a member of the Academic Affairs Committee, to identify students on warning or probation; communicates statuses to students. Also collects mid-term reports from faculty to identify students at risk of going on probationary status.
- Coordinates Commencement, including ordering regalia, ordering diplomas, and working with other offices in the School as needed to organize the ceremony.
- Manages the SIS Registration module and is responsible for maintaining the yearly degree audits.
- Assists in the annual update of the Conservatory Student Handbook and Catalog and provides information as it applies to registration and Student Services.
- Assists in the accreditation process as needed for registrar and student retention data.
- Assists Deans as needed in the management of various committees and working groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Processes and tracks requests for short- and long-term absences.
- Coordinates and tracks all records for the Conservatory Financial Aid Committee, including meeting preparation. Acts as secretary for the Committee.
- Coordinator of on-campus work for Conservatory students, in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Functions as one of the School’s Designated School Officials (DSO) for the Department of Homeland Security’s SEVIS database. Works with the School’s Primary DSO in this capacity.
- Assists with the Conservatory Office workload during its seasonal variations, especially assisting the Manager of Admissions during application and audition season as needed.
- Regularly calculates piano accompanying hours and charge students who exceed caps
Education and/or experience:
Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent experience; background in music is a strong preference
3-5 years of experience at an academic institution, or in a performing arts organization with related requirements
Strong proficiency in written and spoken English; proficiency in other languages is a plus
MS Word, Excel, Internet; knowledge of Blackbaud SIS is required
Other skills, abilities and requirements:
- Strong customer service skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor. even when under stress or fatigued.
- Strong organizational skills, with great attention to detail.
- Consistent work habits.
- Works well as a member of a team and has the ability to act independently.
We offer an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan. Generous vacation and sick leave benefits also offered.
Apply online at: