Ballroom Marfa is a non-profit cultural arts foundation based in Marfa, a remote town of 2,000 people in Far West Texas. Founded in 2003, Ballroom Marfa presents contemporary art and performance programming in a converted 1927-era ballroom. Funded by donations from individuals and foundations, Ballroom Marfa provides the resources for artists, curators and musicians to create work that is site-specific and site-inspired. Ballroom is also the home of Marfa Myths, an annual festival featuring artists working creatively and collaboratively across music, cinema and visual arts; and Marfa Dialogues, a traveling symposium examining social issues through the lens of artistic practice.
Reporting to Ballroom Marfa’s Director & Curator, the Registrar & Lead Preparator will be responsible for critical programmatic, administrative and operational tasks.
The Registrar & Lead Preparator will provide comprehensive logistical and administrative support for Ballroom Marfa’s exhibition program, in addition to overseeing the facilities and key off-site projects. This position drives forward the exhibition program via budgeting, planning, installation, deinstallation, and support for the production and fabrication of new work. As part of a small team, this position requires a positive attitude, excellent organizational and communication skills, resourcefulness and creativity, and the ability to work closely with a small, dedicated team. The position will involve region travel; candidates should have their own means of transportation since Marfa is based in a remote location.
- Responsible for coordination and implementation of all aspects of the visual arts program which includes: interfacing with artists, fabricators and art handlers and all production logistics of exhibitions and installations
- Responsible for shipping and receiving of art works, including condition reporting
- Initiates and organizes art insurance for all exhibitions and events
- Manages registration system, digital and physical archive, and other systems that support the efficient and professional functioning of the visual art program
- Develops, maintains, and tracks visual arts budgets
- Develops and implements filing protocols, digital and physical, for exhibitions
- Oversees or executes all Ballroom Marfa fabrication projects and initiatives
- Responsible for inventory maintenance and acquisition of preparatory tools and overall organization of prep spaces
- Maintains and inventories gallery and off-site storage
- Manages all aspects of Ballroom’s off-site public installations
- Responsible for facilities management and upkeep including maintenance, renovations, landscaping, plumbing, and utilities
- Assists with the production of additional programs
- Manages all installation personnel
- Arranges all aspects of installation and de-installation
- Executes signage, label copy, and ancillary materials for exhibitions and programs
- Manages limited edition inventory, packing and storage processes and procedures, manages execution and shipment of limited edition sales
Preferred skills include: Proficiency in Spanish and English; Fluency with the Adobe Creative Suite and Google SketchUp or CAD; Basic carpentry, AV, and electrical understanding.
Please send resume and letter of interest to [email protected]