American Film Institute
Los Angeles, CA
POSITION: Senior Manager, Individual Giving
LOCATION: Los Angeles Campus
AFI seeks a Senior Manager, Individual Giving to join its 18-person Advancement team, which connects prospects and donors with AFI’s mission to advance the art of the moving image by empowering storytellers and inspiring audiences. The Senior Manager, Individual Giving, a frontline fundraiser, is responsible for the management of the AFI Premiere Circle program ($2,500-$24,999) and a portfolio of prospects and donors. The Senior Manager also manages the execution of the AFI Membership program in-house direct mail appeals and digital email program.
- Responsible for managing a portfolio of 80+ AFI members who give, or have capacity to give, $2,500-$24,999 annually.
- Personally cultivate, solicit and steward prospects and donors through meetings, phone calls and emails.
- Identify, qualify and cultivate prospective AFI Premiere Circle members from within the current pool of AFI members and the greater film community.
- Participate in overseeing agencies for AFI Membership direct mail and telemarketing and work with agency teams to gather and approve all assets.
- Manage execution of a multi-channel, strategic plan for AFI Membership in-house appeals and digital email program.
- With guidance from the Director, Individual Giving, develop an annual comprehensive strategic plan for the AFI Premiere Circle program, conceiving and implementing cultivation strategies to connect prospects and donors with institutional priorities.
- Strategize appropriate solicitation and communications to AFI Premiere Circle members.
- Track, review and respond to member trends and prepare reports to determine effective strategies.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date tracking of all prospects and members in Tessitura “plans” for effective moves management and maintain appropriate documentation of all gifts.
- Work with the Advancement team to ensure the timely processing, gift entry, acknowledgment and stewardship of AFI Premiere Circle donors.
- Work with the Creative Services team to create member materials including solicitation letters, brochures, buck slips, one-sheets, newsletters, web pages, emails, benefit materials and various recognition gifts.
- Work with the Special Events team to plan and manage events for current members and prospects such as intimate screenings, tours, dinners and receptions.
- Process purchase orders and track AFI Premiere Circle revenue and expense budgets.
- Work with the Advancement team to create an active pipeline of prospects by conducting research, developing individual donor strategies and making moves management recommendations.
- Work with the Individual Giving team to solicit and steward AFI FEST underwriters and provide VIP concierge service during the festival.
- Work with the Individual Giving team to solicit and steward AFI Life Achievement Award Gala table and ticket buyers.
- Attend and assist with AFI programs and events as needed.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 4 years development experience in the area of individual giving preferred.
- Demonstrated success in meeting or exceeding development goals and targets.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present ideas effectively and influence donors and other audiences.
- Knowledge of nonprofit development principles and best practices and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to initiate and enjoy direct communication with donors and potential donors and conduct face-to-face donor visits.
- Proven project management skills with the ability to take a project from conception through completion with minimal supervision.
- Strong computer skills with a proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel for MacOS.
- Previous experience using Tessitura database or similar CRM system is required. Previous prospect research experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated abilities in “people skills,” including building strong relationships with donors and building trust and rapport in business relationships.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills including ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and function effectively independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must be goal-oriented with a high level of motivation.
- Must be flexible and resourceful, with a positive attitude and a warm and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated passion for the arts and education, and ideally, film.
- Supports AFI’s mission with the natural ability to articulate a case for support for AFI to others.
- Availability to work occasional night and weekend hours required for various AFI programs and events.
The Senior Manager, Individual Giving performs all duties and responsibilities under the guidance and supervision of the Director, Individual Giving.
Established in 1967, the American Film Institute is the nation's nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring artists and audiences through initiatives that champion the past, present and future of the moving image. AFI's pioneering programs include filmmaker training at the AFI Conservatory; year-round exhibition at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center and at AFI Festivals across the nation; workshops aimed at increasing diversity in the storytelling community; honoring today's masters through the AFI Life Achievement Award and AFI AWARDS; and scholarly efforts such as the AFI Catalog of Feature Films that uphold film history for future generations.
Those interested should submit a cover letter and resume via email to: [email protected]