The J. Paul Getty Museum
Los Angeles, CA
The J. Paul Getty Museum is seeking an experienced scheduler to coordinate planning and scheduling activities for the museum’s docent tour program across the Getty Center and Getty Villa. Annually, over one million visitors enjoy the Getty’s special exhibitions and collections, and take advantage of in-depth tours led by docent guides and gallery educators. The Senior Scheduler is an essential role within the Museum’s Education Department, as this individual oversees the deployment of docents and resources to ensure adequate coverage and staffing based on high-volume visitor traffic. The individual needs to be a strategic thinker to handle complex tour mapping across both sites, a problem solver, diplomatic, and extremely detail oriented. Additionally, the Senior Scheduler manages the docent website to facilitate scheduling. This position reports to the Manager of Docent Programs, and also works closely with other internal departments in the Education program, including School Communities, Gallery Education, and external departments such as Visitor Services and Museum Security.
Major Job Responsibilities
Provides excellent administrative performance and schedules and deploys workforce and ensures adequate staff coverage for docent program and Gallery Education team. Develops and documents scheduling procedures. Prepares Daily Deployment Sheets showing the assignments and duty status of staff on shifts, filling required posts as needed and recording absences. Complies statistics and creates reports of various aspects of workforce deployment as requests. Maintains records of assignments, attendance lists and counts as needed. Manages complex projects and serves as lead of the unit in the absence of the supervisor. Serves as a resource for the scheduling group. Works on assignments that are complex in nature. Uses Getty financial resources effectively.
Additional duties include:
- Coordinates the availability and scheduling for Getty Center and Getty Villa site, school group, and gallery docents.
- Acts as a liaison between docents and the department to handle schedule logistics and secure substitute coverage as needed.
- Prepares and performs daily briefings for docent tour shifts.
- Handles the docent on-call phone line on a daily basis.
- Consistently follows appropriate departmental policies in making scheduling decisions.
- Delivers highly informative data analysis to meet departmental goals and plans.
- Reviews existing policies, guidelines and protocols and changes as needed.
- Serves as a resource to other departmental staff.
- Maintains and updates information on scheduling databases and web platforms.
- May be responsible for filing as well as documentation.
- Supports the recruitment and training process for new docent cohorts.
- Mentors docents and provides guidance and feedback as needed.
- Prepares schedules to best optimize staff resources while minimizing costs.
- Develops strong relationships and coordinates with internal and external departments and peer groups through excellent communication.
- Works to solve a variety of issues and makes decisions based on knowledge of the department’s operational policies and procedures.
- Bachelors degree preferred
- 5-7 years related scheduling experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong project management skills
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Proficient computer skills and demonstrated experience with databases and web design
- Ability to operate with strategic design thinking and data analytics
- Ability to think creatively and use new technologies to expand outreach and program impact
- Ability to succeed within a collaborative work environment
- Ability to accurately prioritize concurrent projects
- Able to juggle shifting priorities
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Flexibility and ability to course correct quickly when the situation calls for it
- Experience planning and managing a budget
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Weekend work and some holiday work is required
- Willingness to travel frequently between the Getty Center and Getty Villa
- Sensitivity to problems or challenges
- Deductive reasoning with the ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce sensible and reasonable answers