Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA)
Los Angeles, CA
Purpose: The Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) is seeking up to 15 Site Production Assistants for CURRENT:LA Food, a public art triennial presenting temporary art installations in outdoor public parks across all 15 Council Districts. The Site Production Assistant will prepare the site and oversee all aspects of coordination related to the public artwork activities and events, such as performances, lectures, artist talks, screenings, etc. to realize the public art installations and public programming events for CURRENT:LA. The Site Production Assistant will also provide production support in the opening and closing procedures of the site, oversee the visitor experience, and be the main point of contact with the Production Team, the Department of Cultural Affairs, and Recreation and Parks staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate the smooth running of the site for all CURRENT artworks and programs;
Supervise and coordinate the on-site public artwork activities and public programming events, such as performances, lectures, workshops, artist talks, food demonstrations, etc. as needed;
- Provide a welcoming Visitor Experience; learn about the artists and artworks, CURRENT, the locations of the sites, local amenities, and be able to communicate this information to the general public;
- Uphold the integrity of CURRENT; be guest-facing and ready to address guest issues; i.e. overflow crowds and parking inquiries;
- Conduct site opening and closing procedures, including securing materials on site, setting up tables and chairs, turning on generators, operating equipment, checking and unlocking/locking port-a-potties, coordinating or providing mobility support such as driving golf carts for visitors, etc.;
Attend planning meetings and site training visits with DCA and Production Team as needed;
- Perform routine site checks of artwork and infrastructure, reporting to Production Team and DCA regarding any site maintenance needs or concerns;
- Know and be able to utilize emergency and first-aid protocols; be responsive to events as they arise, calling for support when needed;
- Know site egress and ingress routes, and manage event capacity and audience flow during events, as needed;
- Supervise and coordinate volunteers for on-site public artwork activities and public programming events, such as checking in volunteers, conducting site inductions, and issuing tasks to volunteers;
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Dynamic, flexible and team-oriented;
- Maintain a professional disposition, positive attitude, and abide by City protocols;
- Have prior experience with production assistance of visual arts or performing arts events;
- Have experience working directly with artists, art organizations, local community and the general public;
- Have the capability of managing the visitor experience;
- Possess strong communication skills;
- Be a problem solver who is organized, hardworking and efficient;
- Must be willing to work in any of the 15 city Council Districts in Los Angeles;
- Bilingual fluency is highly desirable;
- Must be willing to work up to 22 hours per week, beginning October 2019;
- Must be open to working long hours (up to 8-12 hours a day); some evenings and all weekends between 10/5/19 – 11/3/19;
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds;
- Must have a valid California Driver’s license, a clean driving record, and possess own method of transportation;
- Must have own cell phone with data service, and daily access to internet;
BACKGROUND CURRENT:LA Food
Presented by the City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA), the CURRENT:LA public art triennial showcases temporary public art projects and public programs activating every Council District in the City of Los Angeles. The CURRENT:LA concept was developed and produced by DCA’s Public Art Division and is the City’s first ongoing, citywide temporary public art initiative. Each CURRENT:LA presentation focuses on a public issue that affects Los Angeles and utilizes a strategic set of relevant public spaces to present contemporary public art to generate civil discourse around the selected global issue.
Exploring the City’s diversity and relationship to food in all its forms, CURRENT:LA Food is the second iteration of the public art triennial and will showcase approximately 15 temporary public art projects and related public programs. Topics for the thematic presentation include: eliminating food deserts, supporting urban agriculture, improving distribution systems, and strengthening food policy. The theme of food is particularly relevant for the City with the development of issues and challenges as food diversity and access; inequity and justice; waste and recycling; and public health and community building. CURRENT:LA Food will place art in public spaces throughout Los Angeles along its public transportation infrastructure, including rail and bus lines. Angelenos and visitors will be invited to experience Los Angeles’s public transportation options as they engage with food-related projects throughout the city.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a completed city application (attached) (available on http://per.lacity.org/), a one-page cover letter of interest and a professional resume or curriculum vitae (2 page maximum). Please email documents to [email protected] with the subject header: CURRENT:LA Food Site Production Assistants.
Deadline to submit materials is April 30, 2019. No phone calls please. Late applications will not be considered.