Summer Night Lights
Los Angeles, CA
City of Los Angeles Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction and Youth Development
Summer Night Lights - Artist Program 2018
SNL Artists and Culinary Artists Position
SNL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction and Youth Development (GRYD) was established in 2007 with the primary goal of establishing data-driven gang prevention and intervention programs in the City’s most gang-impacted communities. Summer Night Lights (SNL), a component of the GRYD strategy was piloted during the summer of 2008 as a response to research that point to youth being most likely to commit violent crimes during the summer months in the City of Los Angeles. Now in its 10th consecutive summer, the SNL program is implemented in 32 parks across the city with the goal of reducing gang related violence in and around SNL sites & providing community engagement and employment opportunities for youth as well as adults.
SITE ARTIST POSITION OVERVIEW
The Art curriculum will explore the following themes: Art educaton, Art health, Art awareness, Art economy, Art future, Art eco and Art STEM.
Workshops should be tailored to the history and culture of African people in the Americas, the Caribbean, and Africa and of Latin Americans and the broader Latino experience in the United States. Art programming will focus on the promotion of intercultural dialogue through the arts as a means for strengthening communities and enriching lives. SNL art forms include but are not limited to: Painting, Printmaking, Ceramics, Spoken Word, Jewelry Making, Artesenia, Theatre, and Music.
CULINARY ARTIST POSITION OVERVIEW
Geared towards healthy eating, basic cooking skills, meal planning, home economics, and food relationships (conservation). Workshops should reflect creative solutions to food deserts, food education and cooking techniques towards self-sustainable and healthy communities.
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT
❖ 6/26/18 – 8/4/18
● Days: Wednesdays – Saturdays: 7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
● Total Hours Per Week: 12
❖ 8/10/18– 8/25/18
● Days: Fridays and Saturdays: 7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
● Total Hours Per Week: 6
(Candidates will be notified of any modifications to employment period and orientation)
All selected SNL Artists Instructors must attend a mandatory orientation on 6/2/2018 (location/time TBD) that includes an overview of SNL’s
mission, program logistics, weekly tasks, payroll, budget review, lesson plans and team-building exercises.
SNL 2018 SITE STRUCTURE
Artists and Culinary Instructors will be placed at assigned SNL sites, where they will conduct workshops between the hours of 8:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m.
Instructors will also be required to conduct outreach within the SNL site premises a half-hour prior to conducting workshops (7:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.) and clean up a half-hour after the workshop concludes (10:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.).
● Site Artists: A total of 16 artists will be hired to provide 2-4 night weekly art programming and at 2 SNL Sites.
● Visiting Artist: A total of 5 artists will be hired to provide a 2-4 night weekly art programming at 8 or more SNL sites.
● Culinary Artist: A total of 4 Culinary artists will be hired to provide 2-4 night weekly cooking workshops at 8 or more SNL sites.
( Availability of position is contingent upon funding. Health benefits and mileage reimbursement are not available.)
Separate budget to be allotted to cover costs associated with workshop materials & artist supplies.
● Site Artist : $35 /hour
● Culinary & Visiting Artist : $45/hour
● Develop and implement a workshop series tailored around the SNL program’s mission of presenting unifying themes in black/brown cultures, and engagement of community members across the family life cycle.
● Development of lesson plans for each workshop, including a culminating Art Event/Gallery or performance, a budget for supplies and an outreach plan.
● Communicate with GRYD SNL staff via email, cell phone, and submitting weekly reports.
● Maintain communication with Art Program Coordinator, SNL site staff regarding programming, special events, and areas that require follow up. Maintain working relationships with site team and SNL Partners (i.e. Recreation and Parks, LAPD, Community Intervention Workers).
● Be committed to working with a diverse population and participants along the family life cycle (children to elders).
● Maintain detailed accounting records of supplies purchased and follow invoice reimbursement protocols for payment.
● Bachelor’s degree and/or minimum of 2 years of instruction experience, in their respective field (art/dance/culinary).
● Dedication to making your workshops accessible and meaningful to each participant.
● Excellent group management and facilitation skills.
● Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of learners of all ability levels.
● Experience in curriculum development and implementation with a focus on urban and family engagement.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Experience in creation and management of program budget.
● Demonstrate an understanding of technology and its integration as it relates to your field.
● Reliable transportation (travel to multiple SNL sites is required).
● Bilingual preferred (not required); at a minimum, the ability to understand and to make oneself understood to Spanish speaking individuals.
● Computer Skills: Microsoft Word & Excel, Google Documents, E-mail, social media platforms.
BACKGROUND CHECK/TB SCREENING
All applicants will be required to complete and pass a live scan screening prior to receiving an official employment offer, as well as undergo a TB screening.
BUSINESS TAX REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENT
All applicants will be required to attain a Business Tax Registration Certificate (BTRC) through the Los Angeles County Office of Finance. For more information in regards to the BTRC and how to attain it, visit the following link: http://business.lacity.org/start/BTRC
APPLICATION SUBMISSION PROCESS
To apply for the SNL Artist positions, please complete the 2018 SNL Artist Employment Application. Online applications can be found via the following link: http://www.grydfoundation.org/snl-hiring
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE
Friday May 15th, 2018 5:00PM (PST)
APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Only selected applicants will be scheduled for an interview. Applications will be accepted until the needs of the program are met, and the office reserves the right to close or modify application deadlines as needed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (EOE)
The GRYD Office is an EOE employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services, and is an equal access/equal opportunity employer.
If you have any questions about the positions, please contact the SNL Art Program Coordinator Marlené López at: [email protected]