Regina Klenjoski Dance Company
Long Beach, CA
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL: Strategic Resource Project Management Consultant
Proposals will be accepted until January 16, 2017
Email responses to:
Scope of Work:
RKDC seeks a consultant, consultant team or consulting firm to work on a Strategic Resource Management Project. The selected entity will work directly with the Board of Directors and Artistic Director Regina Klenjoski on three strategic plan goals: (1) enlarging the Board and Advisory Committee, (2) increasing earned and contributed income and (3) preparing for the hiring of an Executive Director/Managing Director. The priority of the project is increasing organizational capacity through development and board development. The project duration is estimated between 12-18 months. The amount allocated for this project ranges between $15,000 and $20,000.
The Strategic Resource Management Project outcomes have been identified as the following:
- Coordinate and oversee the production of a “Meet and Greet” with RKDC’s Founder and Artistic Director and potential board director prospects, donors, and other supporters on Tuesday March 14.
- Facilitate the reinvigoration of RKDC supporters by implementing an individual donor cultivation strategy.
- Draft a RKDC Fundraising Plan that incorporates strategies, revenue targets and deadlines.
- Identify and procure resources that support Strategic Plan implementation, including grant application submissions.
- Assist with identifying, recruiting and nomination of new Board and Advisory Committee members.
- Provide administrative support for RKDC Board and Advisory Committee meetings
- Draft an Executive Director/Managing Director job description, ideal candidate profile and timeline for hiring in 2018/2019.
- The project must be completed by April 30, 2018
The ideal consultant/consultant team will have:
- At least five years working with community based non-profit organizations, experience working with arts organizations is preferred.
- Understanding of the different strategies and activities associated with capacity building and securing non-profit resources.
- Experience with strategic planning implementation, board development and fundraising
Founded in 1999 by dancer and choreographer, Regina Klenjoski; RKDC is a contemporary dance company based in Long Beach, CA., delivering provocative dance theater and award winning education programs. In 2006, Los Angeles Times dance critic Lewis Segal commented that RKDC was one, “... of the most active and ambitious dance makers leading Southland contemporary companies.” Through the vision of Artistic Director Regina Klenjoski, the company creates original dance works that feature collaborations with cutting-edge composers and theatrical artists.
Over the years, the company has a remarkable history of achievement including:
- 31 dance works by Regina Klenjoski including intimate choreographic studies, dramatic evening-length works, dance films and site-specific installations;
- a robust arts education program in the South Bay serving over 1,000 students annually and
- a commitment to active participation in the dance community in greater Los Angeles through dance festivals, alliances with area dance departments and a Summer Dance Intensive for adult dance students and professionals.
With support from the California Community Foundation, RKDC completed a Strategic Planning process. Moving Forward/Gaining Pace: A Strategic Plan 2016-2018 represents an exciting chapter in the organization’s history by pointing a way to launch RKDC as an important force in the Los Angeles County dance community. A grant from the Los Angeles County Arts Commission will provide the funds to complete the Strategic Resource Management project.
RKDC’s Mission, Strategic Vision, and Strategic Focus Areas:
The Strategic Planning Committee began by revising the organizational mission statement and formulating a vision for RKDC’s future.
RKDC Mission Statement:
RKDC promotes the value of contemporary dance in communities by creating performances and arts education opportunities that engage the public.
RKDC Strategic Vision:
RKDC is a vibrant dance organization that performs in the greater Los Angeles area and on tour in addition to operating robust arts education programs. An accomplished and enthusiastic Board and staff supports and promotes RKDC to ensure its future by securing resources and other assets.
RKDC Strategic Focus Areas:
RKDC’s strategic plan determined five areas of focus. They include:
- Artistic Development – The creation of original dance works collaborating with new artists in music, film and lighting design that also explores new trends in digital projection technologies.
- Administrative and Operational Support – Provide resources that allow for effective company administration and smooth operations.
- Fundraising and Development – Increase contributed revenues.
- Board Development – Increase the number of board of directors and provide training and assistance that will result in increased leadership.
- Marketing and Promotion – Increase RKDC’s profile and visibility.
RFP Response Format:
In responding to this RFP please use the following format. Responses should be between 5-10 pages, excluding attachments.
- Cover Letter
- Narrative – respondent’s interest in the project, project approach, consultant’s qualifications, any other pertinent information.
- Work Plan and Timeline – list of proposed activities and timeframe for deliverables.
- Relevant and Related Experience – list of at least three organizations with which you have worked with a brief description of the projects and significant outcomes achieved.
- Estimated Budget – include hourly or monthly fee and estimated total budget.
- Primary Consultant Resume(s) and or Consulting Firm profile. (These pages count toward the total submission page limit).
- List of References – include at least three references including name, organization, title, contact phone number and email address. (These pages count toward the total submission page limit).
Consultant Selection Timeline:
December 20, 2016 – January 16, 2017 | RFP outreach to potential candidates
January 16, 2017 | RFP responses due via email to selection committee members
January 17 – 24, 2017| Review RFP responses
January 24 – 27, 2017 | Schedule video/phone interviews
January 30 – February 3, 2017 | Consultant interviews
February 6 – 10, 2017 | Check references, make contract offer
February 15, 2017 | Strategic Resource Project contract starts