Los Angeles, CA
The Wiseman Studio is an art studio that produces work in a range of media. With a diverse portfolio of projects and numerous custom commissions, the studio requires an experienced Studio Manager to help oversee its activities. The Studio Manager will work closely with the two managing partners—David Wiseman and Ari Wiseman. The studio is where David, the artist and creative lead, makes most all of his work. Ari provides management, financial, and strategic direction for the studio, from his base in New York. David has been managing the studio independently for the past twelve years. Now, in partnership with Ari, they would like to hire a Studio Manager to professionalize certain operational aspects of the studio—introducing new systems, managing workflow, developing new project management methods, incorporating best practices, etc.
The studio will be moving to a newly constructed space in the next year. The Studio Manager will help to manage the transition from one space to the other and to establish new protocols. S/he will have experience in running an artist studio, design office, or gallery understanding the importance of dependability, professionalism, diligence, and strong communication skills. It is preferred, but not required that the Studio Manager will have some knowledge of the primary artistic methods of the studio—metal work, porcelain, mold making. However, it is essential that the Studio Manager learn the methods of David’s creative process, to help facilitate project management and communication of priorities within the studio and to others, as necessary.
The Studio Manager will maintain open and ongoing communication with Ari, from his base in New York, serving as local contact for Ari for all operational, administrative, and sales related activities.
- Develop a project management system to manage project workflows. Oversee all project development from beginning to end—including interim approvals/deadlines, reporting to clients, coordinating crating/shipping, payment, paperwork, photography, etc. Maintain an awareness of the status of and requirements for all current and upcoming projects.
- Help to set priorities for the studio workflow, to ensure adherence to production schedules.
- Act as logistical contact with clients— designers, architects, contractors—addressing questions and providing accurate information in a timely manner.
- Implement a new inventory/collection management system. Maintain up-to-date image and artwork database.
- Work with Ari and outside bookkeeper to share and review information on all projects and studio budget.
- Perform basic graphic design responsibilities, to aid in the production of commission proposals. Update website periodically.
- Maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers.
- Manage studio calendar.
- Oversee art shipping with third party shipping agent.
- Manage move to new studio.
- Interface with third party vendors and service providers.
- Manage Studio Administrator.
- Ensure supplies and tools are ordered and in stock so studio can function efficiently.
- Take on special projects as needed.
- The studio has a staff of 6-10 people, depending on the workload, so all members are expected to take on a range of responsibilities. An “all hands on deck” is required for one to be successful in this position.
- Experienced Manger in a studio, gallery, or design office.
- B.A./B.F.A degree
- Demonstrated ability to introduce new systems and policies to a creative environment
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a studio, gallery, artistic, architectural or design office.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work enthusiastically with a wide range of individuals.
- Fluency in describing art and design practices.
- Organizational and communications skills.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel, and Word.
- Competency in spoken Spanish a plus, but not required.
Competitive and commensurate with experience.
This is a new position and will be filled at the earliest possible date.
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]