Los Angeles, CA
826LA WRITE ON! SUMMER CAMP SUMMER ASSOCIATE
Based out of Echo Park or Mar Vista 826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, support for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.
826LA is looking for a team of Summer Associates to assist in planning and running our 4-week Write On! Summer Camp created to support English Language Learners (ELL). Summer Associates work out of either our Mar Vista or Echo Park location. 826LA's Write On! Camp works with students ages 7 to 12 from under-resourced LAUSD Title 1 schools. The goal for Write On! Camp is to support these students as they become more confident writers, enthusiastic readers, strong communicators, and published authors. Summer Associates work with 826LA staff to implement lesson plans, and interact with and oversee volunteers and students.
The Summer Associates position is a full-time (40 hours a week) and short-term service opportunity. Applicants must be available between June 11th and August 19th.
Summer Associates job responsibilities include
● Running 826LA’s 4-week Write On! Summer Camp for our under-resourced students, including the execution of daily lesson plans based on weekly themes;
● Working with a team to manage two sessions daily of up to 30 students each between the ages of 7 and 12, with diverse learning styles, ability levels, and language skills;
● Overseeing volunteer-student relationships to ensure a positive volunteer experience and keep students engaged and excited about learning;
● Working closely with team members, including staff, interns, and fellow Summer Associates.
Required Qualifications for the Summer Camp Associate position include:
● Minimum of eighteen-years-old
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Experience working with children, including relevant volunteer work
● Available between June 11th through August 19th
● Excellent organizational skills
● Strong communication skills, including confidence with public speaking
● An interest in the educational field, writing, or a career with children
Preferred Qualifications for the Summer Camp Associate position include:
● Background or ongoing experience in education
● Written and spoken Spanish-language proficiency
● Strong writing skills
HOW TO APPLY
826LA Summer Associate positions are hosted through the All Ways Up Foundation, and applications are accepted through the AmeriCorps website. Please indicate in your application that you are interested in applying for the Write On! Summer Camp Summer Associate position at 826LA.
We highly recommend that you turn in your application by May 1.