Position type: Temporary, Seasonal
Salary: DOE $28-38 / hour (program rate); $25 / hour (training rate)
Reports to: Site Coordinator
Deadline: May 26, 2021
Location: Greater Long Beach area
Depending on performance, this part-time position has the potential to be extended for the entire 2021-2022 academic year.
Dramatic Results, a non-profit arts education agency, is looking for innovative and experienced Teaching Artists to join our team for the 2021 Summer! The agency focuses on underserved youth in Title I schools throughout LA County. We are looking for Teaching Artists with experience in the VAPA (dance, media, music, theatre, visual arts) content areas to teach integrated arts lessons to students of all levels, using the design thinking process and sharing their unique perspectives on how Art is a pathway to STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math).
Dramatic Results’ middle school Summer Camp will take place across 10 sites from 8:30am–1:00pm from June 28-July 23. Teaching Artists will work between 25-30 hours a week during program sessions (4 weeks in total). An additional 30-40 hours will be required in June for training and development.
● Think critically about diversity, equity, access and inclusion (DEAI) and its impact on delivering culturally relevant programming
● Design and facilitate programming for Title I middle school students; with a special emphasis on social emotional learning practices
● Use design thinking and 21st century skills (collaboration, communication, creativity, and critical thinking) to lead STEAM programming
● Develop culturally relevant resources to engage students
● Be on-time and ready with materials and agenda prior to program start
● Work collaboratively with a co-teacher (specifically a Pre-Service Teacher) and
independently to deliver high-quality programming
● Demonstrate mindfulness when working with students and educators
● Be accountable for paperwork, scheduling, and meeting deadlines
● Able to follow all COVID guidelines outlined by Dramatic Results
● Be ready to pivot in cases of emergency in alignment with agency procedures
● Support evaluation efforts and collection of accurate quantitative and qualitative data
● Support marketing team with external communications as needed
● Communicate, support and engage families whenever possible
● Liaise with school site staff for program and student logistics as needed
● Provide and receive constructive feedback from directors, peers and staff
● Other duties as assigned
● Have experience delivering arts-based STEAM curriculum in a structured learning environment (K-8)
● Strong classroom management skills
● Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite required
● Must have cell phone available for use during work hours and reliable transportation to travel to sites across Long Beach
● Must be comfortable working in person (often outside) with a mask on
● Experience working with Title I populations preferred
● Ability to speak Spanish, Khmer, Mandarin, and/or Vietnamese a plus
Day in the Life: Clock-in and join your team at Hudson Elementary to welcome students for the day! It’s Wednesday, so after you’ve taken attendance students will be working with actors in an improv class that focuses on expanding creative confidence. You ask open-ended questions that encourage this week’s group to make connections to yesterday’s photography lesson. Your professional development focus is on utilizing strategies from the leadership team that promote arts integration. You’ve got some follow-up questions for the Summer Camp Site Coordinator that you’ll make sure to bring up in tomorrow’s check-in, but for now you clock-out with a smile, knowing you positively impacted students in need.
Interested candidates, please send your résumé, two work references, and a cover letter detailing your related experience and how you can advance the mission of Dramatic Results to humanresources AT dramaticresults DOT org. Examples, or portfolios of student art, and video clips of teaching is highly recommended.
Dramatic Results is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic, background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.