Young Musicians Foundation
Los Angeles, CA
Trumpet specialist and/or Multi-Wind Specialist (beginning/intermediate clarinet, flute, & trumpet). Thursday and Saturday afternoon availability.
The Young Musicians Foundation’s (YMF) mission is to empower under-served, often marginalized students to find creativity, connection and joy through music, which we've been doing since 1955. YMF’s teaching artists bring tuition-free weekly music instruction to over 4,500 students at 25 partner schools and sites throughout Los Angeles. Our uniquely accessible approach to vocal, instrumental and general music training reaches students ages 4 to adult across Los Angeles through partnerships with under-resourced schools and community programs covering a 195-square-mile area in greater Los Angeles.
Teaching Artists with YMF work with our partner schools and sites to deliver high-quality music education to the students and communities we serve.
Location: Various sites throughout the greater Los Angeles area
Hours: Varies depending on number of sites assigned; approximately 1 – 8 hours per week
Compensation: $60 per hour - General Music (Pre-K – 3), $55 per hour - Instrumental/Vocal (Grades 4 – 8), $25 per hour for mandatory training sessions, concerts and school assemblies held throughout the year
Start Date: September, 2019, exact date varies by site assignment.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Classroom or group teaching experience working with students from diverse and/or underserved communities
- Ability to inspire students by providing consistent, dedicated, and responsive music education experiences and opportunities
- Four-year undergraduate degree in music/music education or related field
- High level of musicianship and artistry as a teacher & performer
- Extensive knowledge of repertoire, curriculum and pedagogy as related to specialty instrument
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Possess strong classroom management and organizational techniques
- Punctual, timely, and organized
- Must be able to clear a TB test and Live Scan background check (required by YMF before teaching)
- Interest in continually developing as an educator within a community of like minded individuals
- Ability to differentiate instruction to address a variety of student learning styles
- Collaborative and flexible approach to teaching
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Teach group music classes
- Integrate VAPA standards and 21st century skills as applicable and apply knowledge to lesson plans
- Provide a developmentally appropriate classroom environment that reflects students’ learning and growth
Maintain a safe and nurturing environment for students
- Collaborate with teachers, administrators, staff, students, parents and community
- Facilitate in the daily set-up and cleanup of classrooms respectively
- Track and maintain student attendance
- Create detailed substitute lesson plans and arrange for substitute coverage as needed
How to Apply:
Application Deadline: Midnight, Friday August 30th