Young Musician Foundation
Los Angeles, CA
The position of TAP Administrative Associate is a full-time non-exempt employee for 36 hours/week. The Teaching Artist Program Administrative Associate serves as both office administrator and Site Manager/Teaching Artist. While much of the job functions will be completed in the Young Musicians Foundation office, occasional hours will be spent at sites checking inventory, liaising with site staff, and teaching classes as needed.
Reports to: Teaching Artist Program Director and/ or Teaching Artist Manager
Mission: Young Musicians Foundation exists to unify communities through exceptional classical music experiences for youth. We believe that Young Musicians at every stage of their development deserve high caliber music instruction in a supportive environment.
YMF firmly believes that music education is crucial to all students’ academic and personal development and an integral part of the arts and cultural life that can help unify a community. The YMF Teaching Artist Program offers at-risk students the opportunity to learn in a continuing, mutually beneficial, caring relationship that strengthens the individual’s resiliency and capacity for lifelong learning.
The program provides instrumental music instruction, music appreciation and fundamentals, as well as field trips to concerts, opening a new world of music to students and building critical thinking skills through music. Music education becomes another platform to build community within the school and the greater community of families.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and update the assessment database as needed throughout the school year
- Work closely with the Director of Curriculum and Research on developing assessments and grading rubrics
- Create integrated lesson plans as needed combining VAPA standards, ELA standards, and Common Core curriculum
- Proficiency on instrument; must be willing to learn the basics of all instruments taught in our program
- Create, post, and manage job postings for the Teaching Artist Program, as well as recruit candidates to apply and schedule and conduct interviews as needed
- Teach instrumental, vocal, and general music classes as needed
- Liaise between Teaching Artists and site staff as needed
- Serve as a Site Manager as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree in music/music education; or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years experience teaching and one year administrative experience
- Reliable transportation and a valid drivers license as some local travel between sites is required as part of the job function
- Must be able to clear a TB test and Live Scan (as required by sites)
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Experience with Title 1 schools and diverse populations
- Written and spoken communication skills
- Strong classroom management skills
- Organizational skills, ability to maintain regular records, comfortable with Excel
- Must be flexible and willing to adapt in a fast paced environment
- Proficient in Spanish (spoken and written)
The TAP Administrative Associate will be compensated at an hourly rate and will be required to work between the YMF office and TAP sites totaling no more than 36 hours/week.
As a full time employee, the TAP Administrative Associate will receive medical benefits and payment for national holidays. Ten days of vacation is offered, which includes 5 days between Christmas and New Year’s. A minimum of 4 weeks notice must be give for time away from the office.
The position will pay $20/hour.
To apply or inquire further: Please send a cover letter, a sample of your playing, and current resume to Jonathan Terry, Teaching Artist Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.